Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest may finally have a reasonable chance of voting a union in...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It appears that this could be tied up in the legal process for years.

Unlikely. The RLA is quite clear, and the Supreme Court has verified, that the NMB has the ultimate authority to determine voting rules. In fact, the RLA even allows representational disputes to be resolved without a secret ballot. Again, this has been reiterated by the Supreme Court. There is no legal basis whatsoever to block the NMB from changing the election rules, and I doubt any court would even agree to hear a suit for injunction.

How come ex-union members are less likely to vote for a union?

experience

Back up your asinine assertion with a source.
Of course I can not produce results. But my experience in two union drives that failed one as a voting crewmember and the other on the management side. Management consultants are very good at this, guessing within a couple of votes and who will vote what way to predict election outcome before the vote. Conversations over beer and lunch with and their thoughts about the whole process with my ex-Zipper buddies. Many felt they had been screwed out of 10-15 years of employment when IBT came inot Zantop. The first drive was the IBT474, ALPA got more write ins than IBT got votes; the second drive was UAW. ALPA would not talk to our pilots because we were too small and it was not economically viable to under take an organizing drive at a company that had rejected organizing. You know after all it is a business.

Last edited:
Back up your asinine assertion with a source.

the last ALPA drive at SkyWest.

(this is where you regurgitate how those pilots don't really count because they were at Mesa, or Mesaba, or whatever, or they were just FOs, blah blah blah)

the last ALPA drive at SkyWest.

(this is where you regurgitate how those pilots don't really count because they were at Mesa, or Mesaba, or whatever, or they were just FOs, blah blah blah)

No, I think the vote failed at SkyWest merely because SkyWest treats you relatively well, and it's difficult for a lot of pilots to understand the value of a union in those circumstances, even though there really is a big benefit. The sad thing is that things will have to turn ugly before a lot of pilots realize the benefit, and by then it's too late.

I think at least a few of "us" at skywest feel that we can still be PRO SKYWEST and be PRO union at the same time. I would like a contract that can be outlined what is approved and what is not instead of plenty of "GREY" area.

ALPA is an association which has helped make our profession safer through the decades.
And yet that wasn't the main purpose of ALPA. When will the kool-aid drinkers get this through their heads?

They have influenced this profession in a positive manner and continue to do so regardless of those who take it for granted.
And last time I checked, it's a choice as to whether or not a pilot group wants ALPA representation. The kool-aid drinkers are going to have a tough time dealing with reality until they can get this simple fact through their heads.

I think at least a few of "us" at skywest feel that we can still be PRO SKYWEST and be PRO union at the same time.

That is the paradox of it all...... we are conditioned in our culture to pick sides... one or the other..... When in fact it is two seemingly conflicting realities.

I would like a contract that can be outlined what is approved and what is not instead of plenty of "GREY" area.

Never going to happen. Any written document.. the Bible, the Constitution, the CFR.. all will be interpreted by each group with its own interests in mind... The question is... who is enforcing the interpretation. (interpretation meaning of law or policy)

The point about union representation is access to govt (the enforcer). For most pilots, especially at Skywest and other regionals (even majors?), its about local issues. But those "local" issues are enforced, controlled and governed by federal law, and at times international law.

If you are a Skywest pilot you have to wonder why your managment belongs to its own "association" (or union)... the Regional Airline Association.

Regional Airline Association (RAA) represents U.S. regional airlines and suppliers of products and services before the U.S. Congress, Federal Aviation Administration, and Department of Transportation regarding issues of safety, efficiency, and growth of the regional airlines. RAA was founded in 1975 and is based in Washington, DC.
Think about it.... while Skywest pilots are not represented, their management is representing them. As citizens in a democracy, I'd think that standing up for ones right was fundamental.....

What is interesting is.. the RAA has a flight training committee
http://www.raa.org/AirlineMembers/FlightTraining/tabid/112/Default.aspx

A direct example of pilots interests not being addressed.

Flight Training Committee
Who We Are: The Flight Training Committee is a standing committee chartered by RAA's Board of Directors and organized and managed by the Regional Airline Association for the benefit of the member regional airlines. The Committee provides a forum for collaboration, sharing of safety information and obtaining up to date regulatory information. The Committee meets twice yearly. All members are encourage to participate.

MISSION STATEMENT
Of the
REGIONAL AIRLINE ASSOCIATION
FLIGHT TRAINING COMMITTEE

DRAFT v1

Flight Training Committee Mission Statement

I PURPOSE

[1]Regional Airline Association (RAA) member airlines recognize the benefit of working collaboratively to present a united position on issues of safety and regulation to achieve mutual objectives. It is from that common understanding that the committee of member airline flight training management, as empowered by the Regional Airline Association Bylaws, will work together on issues of safety and efficiency. As a means, a meeting or series of meetings will be convened, thereby creating a forum for collaborative work of mutual interest, and to establish action plans to address specific issues and promote the interests of the members.

II FORMATION AND PARTICIPATION

The RAA Flight Training Committee is a standing committee of member airline management personnel with responsibility for flight crew training and qualification.

III MEETINGS

The Flight Training Committee shall meeting semi-annually unless otherwise directed by the Board of Directors. Special meetings may be held as deemed necessary by the members.

IV OBJECTIVES

q Develop recommendations on RAA policies and positions pertaining to flight crew training, qualifications and safety to increase the safety and efficiency of the regional airlines.
q Evaluate existing and proposed rules and guidance material.
q Promote government action while seeking to prevent legislative and regulatory intervention that would penalize regional airlines and their customers.
q Prepare descriptive materials for use in the briefing of government staff members on the capabilities and the needs of regional airlines.
q Establish a forum for members to provide and obtain valuable information from other members, subject matter experts and regulators.

IV ROLES

Chairpersons
q Develop and execute meeting schedules and agendas with staff assistance.

Committee Members
q Work collaboratively with other committee members.
q Advocate the interests of their company and the regional airline industry.

Association Staff
q Ensure the interests of all member airlines are represented.
q Periodically report to the RAA Board of Directors the committee’s resolutions and recommendations.

[1] Regional Airline Association Bylaws, Article XI, as amended August 1995.

The RED font is of particular interests to Skywest pilots (and Jetblue via the ATA). Your management has an organized and formatted effort (and this is the public information!!) to be convincing the govt to enforce legislation or policy in its own favor, not necessarily yours.

The RAA was formed in 1975.
The ATA (major airlines) was formed in 1936.
ALPA was formed in 1931.

Latest resources

Back