Skywest losses IAH COEX flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scotts said:
On a related note, how will the Saab do in the Houston heat this summer?

Not well. Especially the A-model Saabs. Probably see passenger counts in the 26-29 range in the summer. Don't plan on commuting on them.

I love to see the skywest pilots get all upset about losing the CO flying. Do worry your airline still reigns supreme over all others! You guys really don't need to worry I mean those 80 pilots will for sure find jobs when you take over AWAC's flying. It sucks to get underbid doesen't it.

Fly BI said:
It's a real bummer that CAL wouldn't just give the routes to XJT operating the EMB-135s.

We originally did a lot of that flying with our 120's and ATR's and after 9/11, went to an all-jet fleet. We tried operating 135's and 145's to some of these stations but unfortunately, CAL was losing its shirt. We operate under a "cost plus" arrangement whereby CAL pays us if we are empty or full. The loads on some of these flights were abysmal so CAL experimented with Commutair and Skywest under a pro-rate agreement in CLE and IAH respectively.

-Neal

I think it had to do with the saab holding 34 pax vs the emb holding 30? Of course, the PFT operation we had going last year could have contributed. That is dried up now. Training is paid for, but new hires do sign a contract. I think many airlines bid on the flying, i saw in some other thread that horizon bid on it too. That may have been in the latest colgan thread going around.

Now that i think of it....i think colgan does pay in training right now, and provides a hotel throughout. Skywest doen't pay, but does provide a hotel. Looking at the pay rates...skywest seems to be better. (EMB side) I would guess the work rules and per diem are better at skywest at also.

Last edited:
Ok then. What are your passenger weights? Ours made the Saab a 32-seat (sometimes 31 or 30) airplane. Sometimes down to 28 in the summer... and they were B models.

incorrect info

captjim said:
Rumor has it that CAL was not happy with Skywest. The performance was not what had been expected.
- bad info - CAL put flying that was to exp out for bid and the lowest bidder won - nothing to do with SKYW's performance! I like when people just come up with conclusions that r not right - it is better to be factual with info. Cal is low bidding now XJT, watch out in '07...

av8tor02 said:
hey Captjim (aka helmet)
I bet you are a wannabe captain....you probably just throw gear and luggage. For you to sit there and tell the forums that CAL was not happy with SkyWest is the funniest @&$% that I have ever heard. SkyWest has a AWESOME product and will continue to do so for quite some time. Find yourself dude, and for everyone else that thinks Colgan has and can offer a better product than SkyWest....think again. "TRIP" said it right...the race to the bottom continues even though he doesn't know what he is talking about. Cornballs

Dude grow up. Debate or explain your point of view like an someone who is paid to think first and act second. I'll not reply to your toughtless rants again. And what is find yourself? I'm sitting at home watching football!

Reread my post and comprehend. As I said, rumor has it that CAL is not happy. This is what has been floating around for quite sometime, not only here but with IAH Skywest employees as well.

Latest resources

Back