Skywest loses flying to Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Maybe the SkyWest guys will fly the Brasilias for Mesa BE1900 wages----to keep the flying of course...... Ron Reber thinks that is a great idea. And, if you fly your jets for Mesa BE1900 wages, you may also get the Mexicana codeshare out of Guadalajara......plus free taquitos.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sh=tty feeling isn't.

Isn't anybody seeing the OBVIOUS point here?

It kills me that these people in podunk Cedar City with their EAS flights are trying to dictate where the flights go. If they want their precious flights to SLC three times a day then maybe they should be willing to pay whatever airfare it takes to make this route profitable - without government subsidies.

Stop making this into a SkyWest vs Mesa thing. The REAL issue is - the people on welfare (EAS) trying to dictate the terms.:rolleyes:

Jetscream32 said:
Who the hel! cares! It's one little podunk town. If some other carrier besides Mesa picked up the EAS route no one would say a word. Get over yourselves.

Let me break this down for you ignoramuses who know little of SkyWest. The company headquarters is in Saint George, Utah. The flying that is slated to go to Mesa (Cedar City) is in Saint Georges backyard. I don't know exact milage, but I'm guessing a 35 minute drive. Many employees use Cedar City to nonrev as Saint George is often hard to get on. But more importantly, Cedar has been served by SkyWest for many years (don't know for sure, but I'm guessing atleast 25). While this loss is financially insignificant to the company, it is none-the-less significant because it represents an erosion deep inside the companies turf.

Ben Dover said:
But more importantly, Cedar has been served by SkyWest for many years (don't know for sure, but I'm guessing atleast 25). While this loss is financially insignificant to the company, it is none-the-less significant because it represents an erosion deep inside the companies turf.

Sorta like how AWAC lost ALL the United flying after what, 25 years? And how as of April, the 146 Aspen flying will go to Skywest?

~wheelsup

The people in CDC need to look at the bigger picture. Skywest put out an excellent serves and uses the Sports Car of Turboprops. I've always thought the E120 was a comfortable and fast aircraft.
The big issue here is that who is Mesa going to feed to? They have no code share agreements with anyone in SLC, Skywest does. Mesa may very will do like they do in PGA and out of ABQ. They don't participate in the FAA screening process. (Save me from looking at TSA) This means that passengers can't check bags through to other carriers.

Ben Dover said:
Let me break this down for you ignoramuses who know little of SkyWest. The company headquarters is in Saint George, Utah. The flying that is slated to go to Mesa (Cedar City) is in Saint Georges backyard. I don't know exact milage, but I'm guessing a 35 minute drive. Many employees use Cedar City to nonrev as Saint George is often hard to get on. But more importantly, Cedar has been served by SkyWest for many years (don't know for sure, but I'm guessing atleast 25). While this loss is financially insignificant to the company, it is none-the-less significant because it represents an erosion deep inside the companies turf.

I think you guys need to calm down a bit. The aquisition of this city by Mesa is not an example of some future planned takeover. It is all EAS politics. Every two years the EAS routes go out to bid, and all the ho-bag carriers submit their proposals to the DOT and the community. The DOT makes its decision based on a variety of factors; on-time performance, cost, local and state politics, and the amount of money in the coffer. Occasionally politics sway the decision in wacky directions and the communities react in an uproar. They fail to realize that the economy of their community will not support air service without subsidy, otherwise the issue wouldn't even be on the table.

Air-Midwest (Mesa), Great Lakes, Big Sky, Salmon Air, Westword Airways and few others seem to trade contracts every few years when the bids come out and they all seem to persevere in their own pathetic way. That sucks about your non-rev travel, but maybe HQ will see the need and add another SLC turn out of St. George to get it's people where they need to go.

BlackPilot-
I thought Mesa was going to be flying to Vegas and Phoenix where they codeshare with America West. Even if they did decide to go to SLC, last time I checked, they (Mesa Air Group who owns Freedom) are already codeshare partners with Delta.

Jetscream32 said:
Who the hel! cares! It's one little podunk town. If some other carrier besides Mesa picked up the EAS route no one would say a word. Get over yourselves.

Your statement means nothing. Your a Lions fan.

Let's face it, a lot of these communities are not growing and their traffic doesn't support the EAS required. As SKW shifted flying from the Metro to the Brasilia, it has lost EAS to RKS, VEL, PGA, ELY, and now CDC. It worked for a while, but now the flying is going back to the correct size of airplane.

In the case of CDC, Skywest has contributed to the problem by refusing to fly to Las Vegas. If you include the SUU, there are more ties to Las Vegas and So Cal than to northern UT. Quite often groups are forced to go to SLC before they fly south. Other times they just drive to Vegas and fly out from there.

As far as the person who mentioned non-reving, all I can say about that is YGTBSM! Since when are EAS subsidies awarded for non-rev's convinience?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back