Skywest, It's time to unify

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boeing76,

I would also like to know how long you have been with SkyWest. Well.........we're waiting!

I think Boeing 76 is a dipspatcher, not a flight crewmember and therefore shouldn't be giving us his "2 cents worth"!!

Splert said:
Mr or Ms boeing76,

How long have you worked at SkyWest?

Good day

I don't see the relevance to the post, but to answer your question, going on 3 years. I am concerned because whatever the pilots do affects the rest of the company. I realize that my words are not going to change the minds of thousands of pilots, but I am entitled to my opinion. I only know of one union that has worked for an airline and that is WN. Herb approached the pilot group and encouraged them to unify but with Skywest and other airlines I have been with in the past, the threat of union is to intimidate management. This is just too volatile of an industry to bankrupt a company. Think for a moment if UAL strikes because of the pension issue. It is a travesty that they have all lost their retirements but if they walk then the company most likely would liquidate. There would be a huge influx of airline employees on the street trying to get work and there wouldn't be enough positions. To me, that gives Skywest the upper hand. They know that there aren't enough jobs available out there so you have to decide...take what you have or attempt to start over.

I am sure that the union vote will pass this time. There has been a lot of discontent amont the pilots. At least I can say I got my opinion out. Nothing more to say here. I am leaving this lynch mob while I still have my running shoes on.

Boeing 76,

I understand your concern but I do not believe that a union will destroy SkyWest. Personally I support building a relationship with management similar to Southwest. Unions can and do work if run correctly. Many of our pilots (myself included) are completely fed up with SAPA. It is nothing more than a mouthpiece for management. We voice our suggestions and concerns and it goes in one ear and out the other. We just want to put balance back in the relationship rather than continue to have things shoved down our throat. A union at Skywest is inevitable now lets work on doing this thing right.

boeing76 said:
I don't see the relevance to the post, but to answer your question, going on 3 years. I am concerned because whatever the pilots do affects the rest of the company. I realize that my words are not going to change the minds of thousands of pilots, but I am entitled to my opinion. I only know of one union that has worked for an airline and that is WN. Herb approached the pilot group and encouraged them to unify but with Skywest and other airlines I have been with in the past, the threat of union is to intimidate management. This is just too volatile of an industry to bankrupt a company. Think for a moment if UAL strikes because of the pension issue. It is a travesty that they have all lost their retirements but if they walk then the company most likely would liquidate. There would be a huge influx of airline employees on the street trying to get work and there wouldn't be enough positions. To me, that gives Skywest the upper hand. They know that there aren't enough jobs available out there so you have to decide...take what you have or attempt to start over.

I am sure that the union vote will pass this time. There has been a lot of discontent amont the pilots. At least I can say I got my opinion out. Nothing more to say here. I am leaving this lynch mob while I still have my running shoes on.

MD,

No one is trying to bankrupt SKYW, but at what point do you say, 'you know what, that thing needs a tournequet?' I've seen things go downhill here in the last few years, and apparently no one seems to give a rats ass about it in SGU. From ready reserve (that is rarely used, but required o crew members coming off a trip), to the -700 out of seniority training going on to staff ORD (TDY would have covered that nicely (it's in the roll of toilet paper we call a policy manual), but would have cost the company money, so screw seniority), loss of COLA, being told to 'deal Capt Holt an ace, we won't regret it (-700 flying for -200 rates. Bald-faced lie too if you ask me), bucket system reserve (out of seniority), an insult of a pay raise proposal(1.2%) with no QOL improvements, PBS (if the pairings suck, it doesn't matter what I bid, it all sucks), do I need to go on? What, in Dispatch have you seen that compares to this?

You may ask around, but I know of quite a few dispatchers that quietly hoped we would have organized last time around. Apparently, no one in dispatch has the balls to get things rolling on their own. Wait for someone else to jump first, paving the way for them (you). Too close to the koolaid cooler, maybe? A union at SKYW doesn't have to be adversarial, but management is doing a fine job of that on their own. Notice there is no union.....................yet you mention discontent (adversarial relationship with management) among the pilots. Gee, I wonder who started that? Us? I don't think so. Who has been dragging this whole thing out with the pilot group? Could it be the same person that told us to 'deal' Holt the ace?

You need to do some research before you accuse anyone of being 'embittered'. I'm not. I'm just tired of some of the crap coming out of SGU via SAPA with the associated excuses.

AF :cool:

Last edited:
Gr82Aviate said:
I think Boeing 76 is a dipspatcher, not a flight crewmember and therefore shouldn't be giving us his "2 cents worth"!!
He's entitled to his opinion, but maybe it should come with a dispatch point of view? I would be interested to know how content the dispatchers are with the way things are in their realm.

Gr82Aviate said:

Absolutely. Since a union on the property only has ramifications
for the pilots, no other employee group is entitled to say anything
or be concerned. I for one wish you guys would just vote a
union in and be done with it instead of this sabre rattling that goes
on every two years.

Morning Wood said:
Absolutely. Since a union on the property only has ramifications
for the pilots, no other employee group is entitled to say anything
or be concerned. I for one wish you guys would just vote a
union in and be done with it instead of this sabre rattling that goes
on every two years.

We're trying..................

Managment has brought this company to the point where a union is absolutely
necessary. Ya can only kick the dog so many times before it bites back. As far as adversarial relationship, it's been here for a long time. There are too many things to mention but the biggest one for me is the TA that they never intended to make good on. My understanding is that two days after the vote a pilot had someone from management in the jumpseat and they said they never intended to go back and separate the payscale for the 50 and 70 seaters. That's adversarial. They are laughing all the way to the bank with your money and mine.

Latest resources

Back