• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest is SWA new regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure it's been debated, and likely I'll be eviscerated for saying it, but I wonder if SWA pilots were a bit short sided in eliminating the chance for domestic feed with RJ's.
I'm no expert, but it seems SWA is changing to some degree it's game plan over the past few years. A natural evolution of the business plan might be a better way to describe it. Overlooking passengers in regions that don't have SWA (or Airtran) service is overlooking potential profit. The RJ if used properly is a great tool to start and develop routes, hub raid and supplement. As big D is fond of saying, you don't have to own the regional to reap it's value. You also aren't bound by the same risks when it's an at risk relationship. Either way I wish SWA all the best.

but I wonder if SWA pilots were a bit short sided in eliminating the chance for domestic feed with RJ's.

Wonder all you want, ask AA, Delta, US Airways, UAL how RJ codeshare has helped mainline pilots?

SWA can fly RJs all they want - as long as they are flown by SWA pilots. As it should be.

No codeshare whatsoever and the 717 will seat 117 in single class configuration after we increase the seat pitch to a tolerable level.

Gup

Agree with you about seat pitch, but it will be 120 seats. First 3 rows will go from 2 by 2 to 2 by 3, to match the rest of main cabin, gaining 3 seats.

Wonder all you want, ask AA, Delta, US Airways, UAL how RJ codeshare has helped mainline pilots?

I am not wondering about anything. SWA is helping SWAPA pilots how? You just got sold out and do not even know it yet. Welcome to reality. In a year or two SWAPA will understand what happened during the past week.

Last edited:
SWAPA pilots frequently suffer from dissociative disorder.

Look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_disorder

I would expect SWAPA to wake up but the way age 65 went down with the senior SWAPA pilots pushing it I doubt it.

Give the senior SWAPA pilots some carrot and RJ are at SWA to stay.

Actually that carrot was already offered and we kept domestic codeshare out anyway. Nice try. Ain't gonna happen here.

Actually that carrot was already offered and we kept domestic codeshare out anyway. Nice try. Ain't gonna happen here.

Domiestic code share is just the next step. International code share is already a done deal.

Gary is about competing as a legacy today with or without his pilots support.

As was already stated, the B717 is the new RJ at SWA and we just inherited 86 of them with two more coming later this year. There are also 25 more sitting around that Boeing would LUV to give us a smoking deal on just to get them flying again. So that's a total of 113 potentially when it's all said and done. These will all be flown to cities that SWA would have never previously considered flying into, and they will all be flown WITH SWA PILOTS. PERIOD.

ATA was domestic code share.

The B717 is not even a good airplane. Hows is SWA's new RNAV RNP program going to work with the B717?

The B717 does not have VNAV or RNP capability. The B717's engines can not even make TBO. And the B717 only goes 1000 NM. Sounds like a winner.

Latest resources

Back