Skywest is SWA new regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATA was domestic code share.

The B717 is not even a good airplane. Hows is SWA's new RNAV RNP program going to work with the B717?

The B717 does not have VNAV or RNP capability. The B717's engines can not even make TBO. And the B717 only goes 1000 NM. Sounds like a winner.
Dude...get real!

Do you fly the 717? Thought not. But your jealousy shows.

First off, the Boeing 717 (MD-95) is no RJ. 117 seats including Business Class. It is a full sized state of the art jet. Do you classify Delta's MD-80's as an RJ? How about NWA's DC-9's, some of which have less seats than the ATN 717's? Didn't think so.

The B-717 does have RNAV/VNAV capability and we've been using it for years; well before SWA even thought about using RNAV. RNP is in the works. Can't wait to fly the DCA River Visual 19 with that system. It is more advanced than the 737-700/800. Fully computerized. We don't even tune ILS frequencies. The FMS handles all of that as well as ACARS W&B.

Only 1000 miles huh? You're only about 50% off. The range of our 717's is 1430 nm. That's MSP-MCO with reserve fuel, no problem.

Get yourself schooled on one before you start talking trash next time.

Last edited:
I am not wondering about anything. SWA is helping SWAPA pilots how? You just got sold out and do not even know it yet. Welcome to reality. In a year or two SWAPA will understand what happened during the past week.

What, you sound like the idiot, I am currently flying with.

luckytohaveaPenis has been utterly wrong on EVERYTHING he has written in this thread.

Hey at least your consistent.

Dude...get real!

Do you fly the 717? Thought not. But your jealousy shows.

The B-717 does have RNAV/VNAV capability and we've been using it for years; well before SWA even thought about using RNAV. RNP is in the works.

Fully computerized.

Get yourself schooled on one before you start talking trash next time.

No I do not fly the Douglas 717. And I am not jealous either.

Yea it might have RNAV but so does my C172. And as far as VNAV goes there is not a VNAV button in the 717 cockpit. It has some type of vertical guidance but it is not VNAV. Nor does it have the capabilities of VNAV.

And with the lack of RNP the 717 has no future in NextGen NAS.

And no it is not in the works. Boeing could care less about the 717. The 717 is a piece of crap no one wanted to buy. It was an orphaned program forced into the merger with Boeing.

Boeing was so interested in the 717 they told Air Tran in 2003 they could buy the B737 or go get an Airbus because it sucks so much.

And yea it is fully computerized. Just like my 1980's Atari.

Last edited:
What, you sound like the idiot, I am currently flying with.

And I bet two years ago you were one of the SWA captains selling age 65.

It probably went something like,"Now when I was coming off my six year tour in the guard(which my father got me the position and the duty never exceed 120 days a year), I took this SWA job with the expectation I was fortunate to be an FO at a new company. And after I paid my dues as an FO for years (omitting the small single digit) I was thrilled to upgrade. Now your going to get an extra five years as a pay cap captain which is worth over $1M. Wouldn't $1M dollars be helpful in your golden years?"

Then you would put pen to paper and show some bogus slight of hand mathematical magic to drive the point home using non-GAAP accounting.

The poor bewildered drunk FO would stumbled off to his hotel room thinking age 65 was going to be ok.

And it would take a year for those FO's to realize they had been sold down the river on the LUV boat.

No I do not fly the Douglas 717. And I am not jealous either.

Yea it might have RNAV but so does my C172. And as far as VNAV goes there is not a VNAV button in the 717 cockpit. It has some type of vertical guidance but it is not VNAV. Nor does it have the capabilities of VNAV.

And with the lack of RNP the 717 has no future in NextGen NAS.

And no it is not in the works. Boeing could care less about the 717. The 717 is a piece of crap no one wanted to buy. It was an orphaned program forced into the merger with Boeing.

Boeing was so interested in the 717 they told Air Tran in 2003 they could buy the B737 or go get an Airbus because it sucks so much.

And yea it is fully computerized. Just like my 1980's Atari.

It doesn't have a VNAV button uuhh....maybe that's because in a 717 it's called PROF, ie: profile descent, ie: VNAV, ie: it will hit any fix at any altitude at any airspeed dead nuts every time. Why argue about something you have no clue about???

Who cares what it is called because it is not called VNAV. VNAV is the regulatory industry gold standard combined with RNP.

The minimums on the Jepps charts are published for real aircraft as LNAV/VNAV. Not LNAV/PROF. Or LNAV/Maybe. Or LNAV/I hope this works.

Keep dreaming about shooting those constant path descent approaches or turning climbing missed approaches like real Boeing's do because the 717 is not a real Boeing.

Point made.

Back to the original discussion of domestic code share.

ATA was domestic code share for SWA. SWA was able to bully ATA around because of the position ATA was in being bankrupt.

Today Skywest is presently doing domestic code share for Air Tran with RJ's. Current practices are current practices and until suspended are real. Skywest is not a bankrupt push over. Skywest has the resources and determination to keep things status quo.

So unless something is changed SWA will be selling tickets on RJ's at the closing of the deal. And the closing of the deal comes far in advance of the Joint Contract which will address the pilots wishes in said deal.

To our new friends that have zero experience with the 717...it's horrible. You'll never want to bid it. It's way too automated for your liking. You'll hate the wide, quiet cockpit. I mean...the 737 is loud, but you get to go to FL410! That's...like sooooo awesome. Please, spare yourself the anguish and don't ever bid the "little 120,000lb RJ"!

To our new friends that have zero experience with the 717...it's horrible. You'll never want to bid it. It's way too automated for your liking. You'll hate the wide, quiet cockpit. I mean...the 737 is loud, but you get to go to FL410! That's...like sooooo awesome. Please, spare yourself the anguish and don't ever bid the "little 120,000lb RJ"!

Okay. I won't.

Latest resources

Back