Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest is hiring again, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Detroitpilot22

Ok, in light of everything that has happened with the NWA family in the past 6 months, I decided that it was time to get a back up plan going in case I got let go from 9E. Well I just got a call from SkyWest and they are running some interviews this month. My question goes out to Skywest commuters that fly out of Chicago. What is it like Commuting to ORD? I am spoiled right now, I live 20 minutes from DTW, and it has been great, it has erased the horrible scheduling issues of Pinnacle Airlines. I checked, and it seems that there are a lot of flights that go from DTW to ORD every day. Are the schedules pretty commutable? I would love to stay and work in the Detroit area but with Northwest dangling us by a carrot, I thought i better get my but in gear and get in ahead of everyone else if we do get furloughed.

Also a question for everyone at SkyWest, what do you see in the airlines future? Did your company bid on Continental or Northwest flying, and what is it like flying for a company that is non alpa?

dtwpilot,

I am a 9e guy in the skywest pool. If i lived in base i wouldnt think about leaving. How far are u from upgrading? what kind of line do you hold? skywest is a great company. but since you already have built up seniority and live in base (which is huge!!) i would think twice. If its just a back up plan, i think its a great idea. good luck

I got out of training in october, have moved up 120 numbers since then, march will be my first month with a line, I need 1500 more hours to upgrade, so a year and a half at the least. I have heard the SkyWest is a good company, but in my opinion, nothing beats quality of life. That's why it would be a tough decision. I just wish NWA would announce something so I could get a clue as to what is going on. One thing is for certian, I am going to go to the interview, nothing bad can happen from that. Do you commute to 9e?

they just called my buddy today. i guess four inerview dates with the last so far being march 29. good luck to all.

SkyWest has been GREAT to me! I commute and commuting does suck. However, even without a Union and a "commuter policy". I have had 0 company problems when I've missed my trip. Communication is the key. If it happens all the time then it becomes a problem.

As far as the interview, I wouldn't recommend going into it "half-hearted" or unprepared. If you do, you may find yourself being required to wait 1 year before you can re-apply. A year could be a long time if things "go south" where you are now. The guys that do the interviews are real pros. They're all Capts. and almost all are check airmen who have been doing it a long time. The interview is fair and the info is all out there but I'd take it seriously. I think your approach is good though. A buddy of mine once said, "you should wait until you have the job before you decide that you don't want it." If you decide to come over...welcome.

Metro

Whoa, 7 interview dates in April...what's up with all the interviews all of a sudden?

A buddy of mine said that since you apply online it doesn't matter if someone walks your stuff in or not. Is this true? It sounds to me that things are starting to kick again at Skywest. I know that their mins are 100/1000 but what are the competative mins? I would love to fly the Brazillia. Later.

"Walking your stuff in" is often figurative speech for "recommendation from an internal source emailed to the right person."

And YES!! It is very helpful!!

Latest resources

Back