• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest is buying ASA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...because??? We've got some pretty convincing rumors on our side of the fence. Can you enlighten us with any specifics? Or is it top secret information? If you tell us what the puzzle pieces are, we can decide if we think they're as relevant as you do.

DOH with fences makes sense, but fences don't stay up forever. It is unrealistic for fairly junior SKW FO's to expect that they will upgrade and get their choice of domicile before the fences come down.

Here's why SkyWest pilot will get the bad end of the deal if there is a merger. SkyWest pilot are used to the taste of mgmt kool-aid, and mgmt knows this. In fact the Kool-aid has been getting stronger and stronger over the years and yet the pilots still don't organize. ASA pilots, on the other hand, could never stomach the strong flavor right out of the chute, a fact SkyWest mgmt also knows. Hence, ASA pilots will get delt a better hand than OO pilots.

I certainly hope this is just a bad rumor. Not that the Skywest guys are a bad lot, I just dont think ASA and Skywest are a good match. XJT is a much better fit with the same personality traits as ASA. It would also help integrate Cont and Delta more efficiently. Dont know how the Cont scope clause would come into play here. Whoever it is, DOH is the only fair way to integrate. Fences can keep things operationally normal for 3-5 years which should be sufficient.

Tim47SIP said:
Whoever it is, DOH is the only fair way to integrate. Fences can keep things operationally normal for 3-5 years which should be sufficient.

Why not relative seniority? If your X% now, you will be X% after a merger. Fair is fair. If Skywest is the purchasing company, why should ASA benefit from a DOH merge? Let's be fair, I am not looking for an advantage. Just a fair shake...

Yogi

It's interesting to me that all the ASA guys seem to be in favor of DOH integration. Not surprising, since it will serve their interests best. Unfortunately, it is not, in my opinion, the most fair way to integrate. Using a percentage system with fences is more fair since it negates the importance of when the company's last big hiring boom was (DOH) and keeps all pilots close to their relative seniority position. What can you ASA pilots possibly have against this kind of system, except that it wouldn't be as beneficial to you? ("It's not the best thing for me, so it's not 'fair'", doesn't sound like a valid argument to me.) Stapling the ASA list to the bottom of SkyWest's would be in my personal best interest, however, I would never want to see that because I don't consider it fair.

Bluto said:
It's interesting to me that all the ASA guys seem to be in favor of DOH integration. .......Using a percentage system with fences is more fair since it negates the importance of when the company's last big hiring boom was (DOH) and keeps all pilots close to their relative seniority position. What can you ASA pilots possibly have against this kind of system, except that it wouldn't be as beneficial to you? ("It's not the best thing for me, so it's not 'fair'", doesn't sound like a valid argument to me.)

The same question could be asked of Skywest pilots with regards to DOH integration.

Everyone will have their own ideas about what is fair. I'm sure that if the tables were turned and DOH would benefit SKW then that's what you would be arguing for. In that situation I'm sure ASA would want some sort of percentage integration.

"Fairness" seems to be determined by how detrimental an agreement would be to any person or group.

DontFeedTheBear said:
Why not relative seniority? If your X% now, you will be X% after a merger. Fair is fair. If Skywest is the purchasing company, why should ASA benefit from a DOH merge? Let's be fair, I am not looking for an advantage. Just a fair shake...

Yogi

I respectfully disagree.
DOH should be the standard of the industry. Until Alpa and our collective PWA's ensure this we have failed ourselves miserably as an organized labor organization. Just the way it is. In theory we should all get one alpa number the day we get hired and keep it until we leave. The question is how do you force that concept with a non union company? Allegheny-mohawk is only good for lawyers. It's job security for them, that's for sure.

It doesn't matter what we think anyway, just ask a lot of TWA guys/gals. Just hope your the lucky one I guess.

If XJT bought ASA, then the seniority lists would be integrated via the ALPA merger policy. There would be one pilot seniority list. However, the two airlines would continue to be operated as independent operations with independent labor contracts. The scope at CAL would have no effect on the deal. ASA planes would continue to be flown for DCI and XJT planes would continue to operate as CALX. An XJT guy would also not be able to displace an ASA pilot from a domicile and an ASA guy would not be able to displace an XJT guy from a domicile. There would be provisions set up to allow bidding into the seperate operating divisions. One of the worst parts of the deal is that if you bid to fly at XJT, then you are subject to the XJT labor contract. If you bid to fly at ASA, then you are subject to the ASA contract. XJT buying ASA only creates one seniority list, but it does not place them under the XJT collective bargaining agreement. As far as culture goes, XJT and ASA would integrate much easier than SKYW/ASA. It would also place XJT in a position to have the majority share of regional feed when CAL buys DAL.

1. SkyWest has not bought ASA. Chill out guys, we'll have plenty of time to debate seniority intergration if SkyWest does. There is no reason to get our blood pressure up over something that hasn't happened.

2. I don't believe that SGU wants to intergrate us anyway. Too many problems with little benifit. They would keep ASA as a wholly owned subsiderary and whipsaw the two pilot groups. Just look at us bickering about something that hasn't happened. Whatever happens (buy/not buy), it will be a business decision by the boys in SGU, not an emotional one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back