• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy-

After all this don't you think you could just GIVE me SLC :eek:
See you in a month (fingers crossed)

Not lookin' too good, Puke. SLC standing bids are piling up. There are almost as many for SLC as for PDX. The only difference is that there is SOME movement on the SLC list.

OK,

I dusted off the crystal ball, swirled some tea leaves, and howled at the moon and here is what I came up with for the July 17th class:

FAT - 6
PSP - 5
SAN - 2
SLC - 2 (I guess there MIGHT be a chance for Puke afterall)
SMF - 1

What later classes get will depend on how the July class bids. Keep in mind that I have a 65-70% accuracy score with these things.

Only 16 huh?

Andy,

It was a long shot, but I was hoping for class of 25-30 in July? You know how when you really want something you talk yourself into being really optomistic. You would think after 6 months of this I would know better than to set myself up for a letdown. I'm a sucker. I'll be alright though.

Are these smaller classes going to be the norm for awhile? I know in my interview that they talked about 30 pilot classes, but we haven't seen that yet. Also, what does the schedule of jet deliveries look like? I've heard a little but was hoping you could expand on that and let us know how it will affect future bidding for domisciles in the EMB 120. Will it open up SLC?

Thanks.

I'm showing 16/class for the rest of the year. When you consider we will be increasing the fleet by a net of 18 between now and the end of the year (with about 9 pilots per aircraft), that means we need 162 pilots with 96 coming from new hires. I guess the rest will be found in the slightly bloated jet reserves we now have. I think the Brasilia reserve level is nearly ideal now.

Most of the jet deliveries coming up are on the UEX side of the house. IF we base them in FAT, then I imagine a lot of the FO's transitioning into the jet will come from the FAT Brasilia FO's. In general, jet transitions will be the biggest creators of vacancies in SLC and FAT. Other California domiciles may also feed the FAT RJ FO population since they are in easy commute distance.

Speaking from MY side of the classroom, I prefer the smaller classes. I get to now the pilots better, they have a better learning experience, have more room to spread out, and are less prone to be gnawing on each others legs by the end of class. I understand that you would be willing to take ground school in a crowded elevator if it would get you in a month earlier and I appreciate that eagerness.

16/MONTH-JET TRAINEES?

Andy, Good morn, you mentioned that some of these
rj trainess would come from new hires, does this mean
that new hires will be placed directly in the rj? Or that
they would be replacing those who would like to transition
to the jet?

I would also take ground school in a minivan if it would help
but, I can appreciate a less crowded classroom if it helps the
environment....thx for the insight.

Until we run out of Brasilia FO's with more than a year with the company who want the jet, all newhires will go to the Brasilia. I don't expect we will be putting a newhire in the jet for the rest of the year at least.

Andy,

Thanks for your diligence in responding to our questions.
Here are a few more for you (if you don't mind).

How many jets does Skywest have on order for next year?

Will the hiring/training continue through next year?

If there are already enough in the pool to fill the next three classes (50 or so), will there only be 50 or so yet to be interviewed and hired for this year?

Thanks,

PH

SkyWest will be taking delivery of 36 CRJ's next year. When balanced with aircraft turn-ins, the net fleet growth will be about 23. In 2004, we have 32 CRJ deliveries and a net fleet growth of 28.

Hiring and training will continue throughout 2004.

I believe we will have to interview enough people this year in order to get an additional 50 (plus those already in the pool) to cover 2002 classes. I expect some more will be interviewed and placed in the pool late this year for early 2003 classes.

Latest resources

Back