Skywest Inc quarterly earnings call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Incorrect

Uh, brush up on the accounting chief........ they used cash (an asset) to repurchase stock (owners equity), resulting a net cash loss as its tied up in OE.

Actually, it is you that needs to brush up on your accounting. You are confusing the balance sheet with the income statement.

A stock repurchase is a balance sheet transaction, a loss occurs on an income statement.

The balance sheet is the accumulated assets and liabilities; what is owned and who owns it. A stock repurchase is simply a transfer of some of the ownership from stockholder to retained equity for a sum of zero. The cash balance goes down, retained earnings goes up. It has the same effect as paying down debt, a reduction in future expenses, either interest in the case of debt or dividends in the case of stock.

An operating loss means that for a given reporting period expenses exceeded revenue. That loss is then made up by transferring asserts from the balance sheet; the cash balance goes down by the amount of the loss. When a profit is made it is transferred to the balance sheet and the cash balance goes up.

Your welcome.

Last edited:
Yeah that's only partly true. A=L+OE. Where assets are in cash and OE is in stock. They are on two sides of the balance sheet where one can report a "loss" but the other side of the sheet reveals a different story.

Dude, you're wrong. The stock buyback will affect earnings per share. It has absolutely no effect on profit/loss. Believe me I'm 110% sure on this
Thank you for handling that dumbass (and the dumbass before him....) I just don't have the patience.

CRJ567, You are a complete and utter moron. Did you even pass college? If you did you sure didn't take a finance course. On here acting like you know what yore talking about. You have a significant shortage of intelligence.

If you think Skywest would have reported a profit if they hadn't repurchased company stock please go get some tutoring on basic accounting and finance! That's as bad a saying pull the nose up to recover from a stall!

Careful you guys. This is starting to get away from "aviation".....mom will get mad.... ;-)

You guys really need to get a handle on this quoting thing...this is getting a bit confusing.

The repurchased stock becomes treasury stock and is shown as a seperate entry on the balance sheet... And it is on the bottom section in the owners equitity section of the balance sheet. On income statement it is on the expense section as purchased oc treasury stock but year end shows up on balance sheet....

I'm pretty sure that is what my wife with CPA with a masters degree just told me....

Latest resources

Back