• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest in Vietnam

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest board to decide in the next week or so. The company is BIM group, the largest shrimp producer in Vietnam. They are also into shipping, and bought an airline operating certificate from the government, but know nothing about setting one up.
Mekong Air will operate a few new CRJ900s, ASA pilots will be on a 12-18 month stay or longer until Vietnamese pilots are trained up. A 12 month minimum stay is required so that US taxes are not a factor. There will also be a housing allowance.

All of the above is from the VP of ASA flight ops, so it is true, not a rumor, but not decided upon yet. This is all we were told in recurrent groundschool last week.

Last edited:
My crystal ball shows some happenings for former ASA airframes in Vietnam around November. Airframes, technical expertise, and a small cadre of instructors. I've heard murmers of American Captains flying with Vietnamese First Officers- the idea being to train them up before the Americans leave- allowing the Vietnamese to operate on their own after all training is complete.

Didn't the Vietnamese learn a thing or two about inviting Americans into their country for "technical training" then leave?

It didn't turn out too well for them last time when the Americans came to "help".

Will Skywest and ASA pilots undercut each other for this flying?

Not me, 10K/month plus housing or else you can have it.

Will Skywest and ASA pilots undercut each other for this flying?

Not me, 10K/month plus housing or else you can have it.

LOL....

Cathay Pacific and Emirates don't even pay that much.

Dream on.

I can hear the local pilots having a fit, peeved about outsourcing to the Americans.

Wont happen Vietnam airlines runs out all other airlines that start up there. Indo China gone and now Jetstars having a lot of problems.Vietnam is a great place to live though.If it does happen you guys will have a great time.

I can hear the local pilots having a fit, peeved about outsourcing to the Americans.

Yeah-

I have been pissed for years about all the ono-U.S. pilots we have working here. They go and get some work visa, and get all the flying they want. Try going to ANY other country as a non-contract pilot, and working for an actual airline.... Ain't gonna happen.

-We are the world's biggest suckers.

Latest resources

Back