• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest in Vietnam

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My crystal ball shows some happenings for former ASA airframes in Vietnam around November. Airframes, technical expertise, and a small cadre of instructors. I've heard murmers of American Captains flying with Vietnamese First Officers- the idea being to train them up before the Americans leave- allowing the Vietnamese to operate on their own after all training is complete.

My crystal ball shows some happenings for former ASA airframes in Vietnam around November. Airframes, technical expertise, and a small cadre of instructors. I've heard murmers of American Captains flying with Vietnamese First Officers- the idea being to train them up before the Americans leave- allowing the Vietnamese to operate on their own after all training is complete.

Will there be a gradual drawdown of American forces and, at the same time a "Vietnameseation" of the airline of will there be a hard withdrawl date with a "sink or swim" attitude. Ie: an American approach of a French approach?

Cant wait to be part of Mekong Delta Connection

ka

My Wife and I just spent a long weekend in Saigon from Jan 29th through Feb 1st. What a beautiful city. The people are fantastic and the shopping was pleasant (unlike shopping in Zhuhai or Beijing) and the shopkeepers let you browse without hastle. Not sure about the rest of the country but I am sure it is close to the same. We paid 50.00 USD for a 1 month multi entry Visa so we hope to get to Hanoi later this month.

Be prepared to carry a wad of cash in your pocket. I changed my Hong Kong dollars at the airport and I ended up with a little over 11 million Dong in my back pocket. The current rate is 18,465.00 Dong to the US Dollar. It's easy to go out for shopping and dining with 3 million Dong in your backpocket.

Out at the expat pubs expect to pay 48,000 for a beer. There are good happy hour prices at some places for less. Saigon Lager is really good. Crisp finish with no after taste. The ladies are a lot less aggressive than say Kuala Lumpur or Thailand but are very available.

Flying in Asia is a blast. I can't think of a better opportunity for a pilot flying at the regionals that might not get the chance otherwise. I would imagine that there will be a training program put in place for the instructors soon. Flying out here is a different kettle of fish I can assure you.

Cheers-

I just realized the irony of what I wrote..........................sans the crystal ball part...........

Confirmed: ASA to fly the E-Jet in Vietmam
Let's hope it happens.
So it's confirmed...or are you still hoping?

Confirmed: Mike Oxlong wins 110 million in powerball, let's hope it happens.
Confirmed: Colts win the Superbowl, let's hope they beat New Orleans.

Latest resources

Back