• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The scope language that was incorporated into Contract 2004 by the XJT ALPA group effectively handcuffs ExpressJet holdings and or their successor to using pilots on the ExpressJet seniority list to accomplish that flying. If a company was to purchase XJT and then (as it appears SKYW has done) re-negotiates the CPA with CAL they still have to use the XJT pilots as they "own" the flying that is done by XJT holdings. SKYW most likely can not give CAL a price low enough to secure the flying by using XJT pilots. SKYW is asking for XJT to re-negotiate the Collective Bargaining Agreement with XJT ALPA to remove this part of the scope language to facilitate their purchase of XJT holdings.

I can only speak for myself on this, but I will probably never support weakening the scope language in contract 2004. There is a good reason why that language is there (read Freedom Air), and there is no reason why it should be changed to let SKYW eliminate our pilot group and our superior contract. If Jerry wants XJT he can have us as we are, not how he thinks we should be.

Exactly my thoughts. XJT pilots are one of the most unified group around these days. I won't support it either, I doubt you'll get this pilot group to budge.

I can only speak for myself on this, but I will probably never support weakening the scope language in contract 2004. There is a good reason why that language is there (read Freedom Air), and there is no reason why it should be changed to let SKYW eliminate our pilot group and our superior contract. If Jerry wants XJT he can have us as we are, not how he thinks we should be.

If it's any consolation the ASA vs Skywest whipsaw doomsday talk has for the most part remained just that; talk. It's always possible, but so far really hasn't materialized. I expect Expressjet under the Skywest umbrella would fair as well.

I respect your contract and all the work it took to secure it. But if you're out of work, what good is an industry leading contract?

I respect your contract and all the work it took to secure it. But if you're out of work, what good is an industry leading contract?

Why fight for a contract if you're not willing to stand up for it? There is no incentive for me to settle less pay. I can make what I do now doing something else, and be home every night

Yes, indeed I have been reading all the posts.

Your posts indicate that you think XJT pilots are between the proverbial rock and a hard place, with no options other than acquiescing to Jerry Atkins' demands.

What incentive do you think XJT ALPA would have to willingly negotiate away their contractual language that would bind SKW, Inc. to their Section 1?

It's one thing to play tough guy on these forums and then there's the reality of things to come. Reality is you will be furloughed or worst (most likely) the whole place is shut down like an ACA/Independence. Remember them? How's that for an incentive? And who's hiring these day? And if the President and BODs of XJT decide they finally want this deal, they'll get you guys to acquiesce.

Continental apparently doesn't really want to do business with XJT anymore. You guys are burning through money quickly and you have $130 million bond due this summer. The branded flying is a failure. What choices do you have?

In this instance we (the pilot group of XJT) have a couple of choices. We can accept the demand of SKYW and give up the very protection that keeps us at the top of the compensation heap in the regional segment. We can think this through and see exactly where allowing SKYW to have the ability to eliminate our jobs through moving aircraft/flying to the OO side of the house. We can also wait and see what happens in the future without caving in and giving a would be suitor the right to force us to change our hard fought contractual rights.

My own company has NEVER come to my pilot group with their hand out seeking concessions. Why in the h*ll would I want to hand Jerry the keys to the kingdom and ultimately see my job be replaced by his lower paid (errr I mean more productive) workforce.

I haven't touched an airplane in a month because of my contracts vacation rules, can a SKYW 3rd year guy say the same?? We fought hard to get this contract, and I doubt you're gonna see us throw any part of it away to suit ANY airline looking to purchase us in the future.

Are any of these good choices? probably not, is there going to be an XJT 2,3,4 years from now? who knows, but I don't think giving up contractual rights for a mythical future security is a good idea.....

It's one thing to play tough guy on these forums and then there's the reality of things to come. Reality is you will be furloughed or worst (most likely) the whole place is shut down like an ACA/Independence. Remember them? How's that for an incentive? And who's hiring these day? And if the President and BODs of XJT decide they finally want this deal, they'll get you guys to acquiesce.

Ah yes...nothing quite motivates like fear.

And I don't work for Expressjet.

Why fight for a contract if you're not willing to stand up for it?
Because you may be out of a job if you're not willing to give a little...

There is no incentive for me to settle less pay. I can make what I do now doing something else, and be home every night
Then maybe that's a good option for you. However I suspect there are others who would be willing to compromise in order to keep working. Mind you, I'm not talking about compromising pay. ASA pilots haven't taken a pay cut since Skywest took over. I'm just suggesting some compromise on scope might be worth keeping a job.

Acquiesce - ac·qui·esce [ak-wee-es] –verb;
to assent tacitly; submit or comply silently or without protest.

My bad. Wrong word to use.

Also I forgot to add in my above post. I have no ill will towards SKYW management or the pilot group. We all needed a job at one time and if SKYW was the place a pilot thought was a good fit for them then so be it. I happened to come to XJT by way of another airline. This is just purely a discussion on giving away contractual rights to placate a would be suitor.

I think just about everybody can see the writing on the wall if XJT ALPA was to give up scope in this instance. If SKYW wanted to run us as a seperate entitiy like ASA they would not be making this request for us to allow the CBA to be changed

Here's a scenario. What if SkyW Inc. announces they are retracting the offer. What happens to the stock? My guess is it will tank. It will go back to where it was or likely lower. When that bond becomes due, XJT will have no more cash. SkyW Inc. may acquire XJT for less than the 188 million offered. Or, CAL will announce they are taking more flying away from XJT therebye causing the stock to tank even more. Either way, I feel the mgmt of XJT are between a rock and a hard place. This isn't even chess for them. It's survival. For once, the employees stand to gain from this. XJT contract will stay in tact, other than merging with any other SKY INc. airlines. Everything will remain status quo, except your mgmt. team--who seem to be destroying your airline. This isn't a bad thing, I can tell you because I've been through it.

Trojan

Latest resources

Back