• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Had Made Hostile $3.50/Share Bid For ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you guys really think that Skywest would buy us and then try and shift the flying and airplanes over to one of thier other companies, incur all the training cost for thier pilots and MX guys, and just let us wither away? Remember CAL still has to do something with all those jets, so it's not like Skywest can just start using CRJs for the CAL stuff, and after thier experience with CHQ, I'm not sure CAL want's to use CRJs.

Well....Skywest could shift flying without moving the aircraft to another operation.

And I don't think you can compare CHQ's CRJ program to SKW's. Let's face it, Skywest runs a good operation.

they will NOT merge the senior lists, to many junior people at skywest to let that happen, plus uncle Jerry likes it that way. you can negoitate until your blue in the face, but i seriously doubt you'll get that.

Now I see why you don't like this part of the contract. Many junior people at XJT, do we throw our own under the bus or ASA's under the bus so Skywest group saves their own. The way I see this part of the contract is a win for each of the pilot groups. One lists provides protection, jobs, and pay for all. We all would get a variety of bases to choose from. Why do you think Jerry likes it like that? I think it is so he won't have to deal with a stronger pilot group of 6 to 7000!! Our scope if you will doesn't just protect XJT but the acquiring pilot group as well. It forces us to join together which is a good thing. Jerry will still have his flexibility with aircraft and managing. Just won't be able to manipulate one of his largest work force anymore.

Last edited:
One list is a great idea.

It's not going to happen.

I believe what will happen is precisely what happened at ASA.

SkyWest will purchase, then improve the xjet operation. What the "improve" part means, I have no idea. They will run the companies as separate, competing entities. This sucks for the pilots(whipsaw much?), but it's great for business.

It might not happen, but that is what we would have to vote to give up. That is the key, we have it in place. My view on it is this, damned if we do damned if we don't. We decide to keep our clause (again good for all pilot groups) and Skywest says no thanks then. Then CAL says you will lose planes beginning the end of '09, year and half away. Many changes over that long of period awaits. But gives our group time and options. Or we give our clause away for some short term gains but in the long run we all still fight each who is the best performance blah, blah, blah. Either way I still look for a job starting all over at a regional because Jerry feels he can do whatever. Or I keep the clause intact and make Jerry deal with us all. I for one don't want to work at Home Depot again.;)

Not quite sure...

Future Furlough said:
But once you strip all the emotion from the situation, why does it make more financial sense to have multiple companies doing the same business rather than one? Especially if flexibility and efficiency are the ultimate goal?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this question, but it seems like the hand works better with fingers, than without.

Whydoitry said:
Again, I ask, what is the rush? Why now? Is there some impending doom right around the corner that none of us can see? The earliest airframes go away is Dec of 2009. CAL is going to announce the merger with UAL next week. Maybe we should just see where this is going. This is not a bash at anyone, but is this how you guys handle emergencies in flight? Personally I like to evaluate the situation and not just react to the situation.

Good point, however just because you can't see the big picture doesn't mean it hasn't been painted or by the time you do see it the paint may already be dry....

eP.

...but it seems like the hand works better with fingers, than without.
I like that...kinda makes sense.
Serious? "Good Faith"...............now thats funny. I have never seen more Koolaide drinking in my life.

I want to throw up.
The Kool-Aid is quite refreshing, you should try it. :D

Really, there's kind of an inside joke at SkyWest that all you have to do is have faith in Uncle Jerry and all will be OK...but there's a bit of truth to that.

As stolen and paraphrased from an old SkyWest Online iShare thread:

Lo, as I listen to the testimonies of my fellow brethren, I feel moved to speak. I know Uncle Jerry is the one true CEO because he has multiplied the dollar to many with a single bonus and turned cran-apple to wine before thine eyes...and I know this all be true. In the name of The Airline, The Dispatcher, and The Holy FARs...Amen.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this question, but it seems like the hand works better with fingers, than without.

Why don't you want all the fingers on one hand, instead of one finger on three different hands? Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the "synergies" of maintain three completely separate companies. If there is little movement among the three, where is the flexibility, and how do you raise productivity?

It might not happen, but that is what we would have to vote to give up....

...Or we give our clause away for some short term gains but in the long run we all still fight each who is the best performance blah, blah, blah. Either way I still look for a job starting all over at a regional because Jerry feels he can do whatever. Or I keep the clause intact and make Jerry deal with us all. I for one don't want to work at Home Depot again.;)

Last post for a while. As much as I enjoy the scintillating conversation, I got's to go to work (would you like to fries with that?).

I'm willing to listen to Jerry in regards to our CBA. However, I'm not willing to give up anything without getting something in return. My biggest fear is that Jerry will see that we rolled over on scope and will come to us sometime in the future and say, "If you guys want to keep all the flying you have now, you need to give me blank?"

We got a year and a half, people. That's an eternity in this business, especially in this climate. I'm not drinking Rev. Jerry's Kool Aid without making sure no one else croaks.

Serious? "Good Faith"...............now thats funny. I have never seen more Koolaide drinking in my life.

I want to throw up.

Personally, I like Hawaiian Punch better. Yum, I just had a glass this morning and I feel Greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaat!" But in all seriousness, if you would like to get on the Christmas Kool-Aid mailing list which I started ealier this year for those ASA(pro ALPA) anti-SkyWest folks then feel free to sign up. Sign up now and you will get at least a 10 year supply of Jerry's special super hero blend. Wow, that stuff is awesome, it keeps you flying longer and higher than the traditional "branded" blend plus it won't leave you mindless after the imminent zombie like hangover. So sign up now and you too can be busting down walls with Jerry. It's a lot of secured fun even without the traditional scope blend, so don't be afraid and come on, what are you waiting for. Join the biggest happiest Kool-Aid mailing list in town. Act now or you will definitely be grounded.
Gee, I'm getting thirsty just talking about it.

Last edited:
Last post for a while. As much as I enjoy the scintillating conversation, I got's to go to work (would you like to fries with that?).

I'm willing to listen to Jerry in regards to our CBA. However, I'm not willing to give up anything without getting something in return. My biggest fear is that Jerry will see that we rolled over on scope and will come to us sometime in the future and say, "If you guys want to keep all the flying you have now, you need to give me blank?"

We got a year and a half, people. That's an eternity in this business, especially in this climate. I'm not drinking Rev. Jerry's Kool Aid without making sure no one else croaks.

Let's say UA/CA and DL/NW both want to have a regional operation running out of (shakes Magic 8-Ball) LAX. How can SkyWest work both? By having seperate entities work both. Now, I know you are going to say that United relaxed the exclusivity for LAX. I know. But, what does the post-merger Major World hold in store when it comes to these things. The seperate airlines maximizing their revenues doing what they do best is better than an amalgamated company trying to do everything great.

I would imagine that the ERJs would have better performance in the mountain states, especially in the ski markets. I believe SkyWest would instantly maximize their revenue by letting XJT run the ERJs on the ski markets. But I am not in Sales and Marketing, so I am just guessing here.

Latest resources

Back