• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest F/O reserve daily schedules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They can basically do anything they want during your reserve assignment period (RAP). They can tell you to come fly, sit ready, assign you a flight for 2 AM the next morning or next week if your are on reserve those days.

They could conceivably call you at 1559 for an 1859 show. But, you turn into a pumpkin at exactly 2000 - not very practical.

A couple of caveats. To my understanding, anything over 14 hours duty (anything beyond 1800 in our example) requires "mutual consent." They won't tell you this and, by accepting the assignment, you've consented. But, you can't begin any flight that would not have you parked by 2000 (under current FARs).

The other thing they can do is call you and notify you that you are off for your minimum required rest period and your duty clock starts anew at the new show time. Last I heard there was a temporary agreement that said you could refuse this - but they won't tell you that when they call.

Long call is exactly the above except you are in a RAP 24 hours a day. When they call, you are now on a 12-hour "rest" period.

The pay really sucks at first but reserve is what you make of it. A lot of guys I know have worked construction, another job, ran a business, or played Mr. Mom while sitting reserve. You just have to have a plan for when you get called.

Oh, and get used to military time.

On another note: former Comair folks, is the uniform the same at SkyWest or do I need to actually buy another $$$?

Uniform is the same as Comair. If I recall, SkyWest gives you 2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts and tie for free, but the coat and hat(optional) you are responsible for. I used the same coat from Comair.

Uniform is the same as Comair. If I recall, SkyWest gives you 2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts and tie for free, but the coat and hat(optional) you are responsible for. I used the same coat from Comair.

I don't recall anything being for free as a new hire, but they will take it out of your paycheck if you want. None of that stuff fit me either, even though I was "fitted". Plus, the pants had to be dry cleaned, which is just stupid.

I now wear Kenneth Cole Reaction pants from Macy's. They're cheaper, non-wrinkle, regular wash, and they look much better. I also wear "A Cut Above" shirts. If you're not sporting a big gut, they fit MUCH better than M&H and Van Heusen.

I don't recall anything being for free as a new hire, but they will take it out of your paycheck if you want. None of that stuff fit me either, even though I was "fitted". Plus, the pants had to be dry cleaned, which is just stupid.

I now wear Kenneth Cole Reaction pants from Macy's. They're cheaper, non-wrinkle, regular wash, and they look much better. I also wear "A Cut Above" shirts. If you're not sporting a big gut, they fit MUCH better than M&H and Van Heusen.

I was a new hire in 2011. 2 pants, 2 shirts, tie, epaulettes, wings, name tag were provided by company. I used the coat from Comair. Showed up in uniform the first day for flying and didn't pay anything, out of pocket, for uniform I was wearing. Don't know if anything has changed since then. If you're on the jet you don't even need a flight case. Jepps are Airside.

I do agree on the pants. The provided wool pants can be high maintenance. I get my pants from Macy' as well. A Cut Above shirts are a good way to go.

Last edited:
I was a new hire in 2011. 2 pants, 2 shirts, tie, epaulettes, wings, name tag were provided by company. I used the coat from Comair. Showed up in uniform the first day for flying and didn't pay anything, out of pocket, for uniform I was wearing. Don't know if anything has changed since then. If you're on the jet you don't even need a flight case. Jepps are Airside.

I do agree on the pants. The provided wool pants can be high maintenance. I get my pants from Macy' as well. A Cut Above shirts are a good way to go.

Ok, I guess I'm just forgetting about the free stuff - I was an early 2011 new hire. Thanks for the correction!

Latest resources

Back