SkyWest Employee Stock Purchase Program and 401K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O.K.-

I see what you are doing, now Andy... One of us has a serious mis-understanding of the system, and I am not sure who it is. Maybe I am wrong.

The way I read the ESPP program stuff, it looks like the 5% discount only takes place once-at the end of each six-month period.

Your calculations show a 5% discount on each purchase, throughout the period. From what I understand, the program looks only at the closing price on the last day of the period, and knocks 5% off-that is all.

If this were progressive, and each time a purchase was made, it was made at a 5% discount, you would be correct, but I don't get that from the stuff I have read. Looks like it only takes place once, but sits in an account until that time.

-The ESPP does specifically reference that the price of the stock is taken into account only once, and that the price is a snapshot on the last day of the period.

I just got my info packet for the Deffered Compensation Program, has anybody taken a look at it yet, is it any good?

I agree-only a true Damn Fool Idiot would raise taxes in this economy....

Unfortunately, that seems to be the corner we just painted ourselves into.

-Welcome to the "new progressive era."

I agree-only a true Damn Fool Idiot would raise taxes in this economy....

Unfortunately, that seems to be the corner we just painted ourselves into.

-Welcome to the "new progressive era."

Short term capital gains (less than a year) is already taxed right now at 35%. If you hold longer than 1 year then it's 15%. Maybe this is what you were referring to? Obama wants to take it to 37%.

Trojan

Fair enough. What is your plan to do with $100 every two weeks if you don't do this?
Beer and teenage hookers! in Thailand. You?
PBR

O.K.-

I see what you are doing, now Andy... One of us has a serious mis-understanding of the system, and I am not sure who it is. Maybe I am wrong.

The way I read the ESPP program stuff, it looks like the 5% discount only takes place once-at the end of each six-month period.

Your calculations show a 5% discount on each purchase, throughout the period. From what I understand, the program looks only at the closing price on the last day of the period, and knocks 5% off-that is all.

If this were progressive, and each time a purchase was made, it was made at a 5% discount, you would be correct, but I don't get that from the stuff I have read. Looks like it only takes place once, but sits in an account until that time.

-The ESPP does specifically reference that the price of the stock is taken into account only once, and that the price is a snapshot on the last day of the period.
No, you still don't get it. I am not saying there is a 5% knock off on each purchase throughout the period. My calculation showed what a savings account would have to do in order to accrue $68.42 in interest in six months - that's all.

Let's see what you can agree on. I'll list some points and you can say I agree with 1, 3, & 4 for instance.

1. If you put in $100 per pay period, the total deposits would be $1300 after 13 pay period (6 months).

2. In order to accrue $68.42 in interest in a savings account, that savings account would have to be paying 18.983% interest compounded bi-weekly (slightly less if compounded daily).

3. The average amount in the account during the six month period is $650.

4. $68.42 is 10.53% of $650.

5. 10.53% is the return on the average amount in the account in 6 months.

6. A 10.53% return achieved in 6 months is the equivalent of roughly 21.06% on an annual basis.

Are you maintaining that participating in this program has an annual rate of return of 5%?

I flipped through the DCP stuff...I couldn't figure out if I can put XX% into the 401k and XX% into the DCP. For instance, should be able to put 10,500 or so into 401k if past two years are any indication, so would like to put the other 5k into DCP. However, some things I didn't like: 1) pay FICA on contributions; 2) contributions count as assets to company and they can use them to pay creditors [if push comes to show]; 3) mutual funds seemed to sorta suck; 4) only change once per year.

Wonder if I can defer enough into the DCP to take me below the HCE threshold...could fully fund 401k plus something into DCP. Need to ask my brother, methinks...

Andy, I believe your math is correct, but the biggest problem with the program is that they hold your shares for about three days, during which their value may very likely lose 5% or more. At least with 15% it was more difficult to drop that much, especially if you got to use the beginning of the 6 month period for the purchase price.

Latest resources

Back