SkyWest Employee Stock Purchase Program and 401K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sky,
Answer one excruciatingly simple question.

What would the APY need to be for a savings account that could deliver the $68.42 in interest from bi-weekly contributions of $100 over a six month period?

I maintain that is in the neighborhood of 21%. Most of you seem to think it is in the neighborhood of 5%. What do you think?

Andy is comparing apples and oranges and what he is saying makes sense if you are willing to look at what he is saying.

He is not saying that you are getting 20%. He is saying that if you were to throw the money into a cd, the rate of return would have to be much higher than 5% to match the return that you would make by doing this.

That being said, I still think the program is junk. By locking into this program you are guaranteed a 5% return based on the day you buy. The problem is that the stock ALWAYS spikes on those days and usually drops the days following. You could make the arguement that 5% is 5%. The problem is that it takes several days for the stock to be put into your account, and the transaction fees are quite high.

Money saved by changing the ESSP will be redirected into a reintroduced Profit Sharing program. The Performance Rewards program will remain unchanged. The ROTH 401(k) option sounds nice. The changes may be of benefit to the HCE under the existing 401(k) plan. All things considered, these may be good changes.

NOT "good changes"! We used to get the profit sharing program and the ESPP at the same time, along with a bonus program too...Walter is right the new ESPP blows!!

Sky,
Answer one excruciatingly simple question.

What would the APY need to be for a savings account that could deliver the $68.42 in interest from bi-weekly contributions of $100 over a six month period?

I maintain that is in the neighborhood of 21%. Most of you seem to think it is in the neighborhood of 5%. What do you think?

You seem to see compound interest in this transaction somewhere. I don't. The interest is paid once per six months, and it is not compound.....

What your calculation is assuming is a 5% return each time a contribution is made-based on a "dollar-cost-average" balance.

If this were correct, people would have been making at least 63% in the program so far, and they clearly are not.

Don't confuse compound interest with a dollar-cost-average return estimate. You calculation is so far off, I can't understand how you don't see the mistake.

You seem to see compound interest in this transaction somewhere. I don't. The interest is paid once per six months, and it is not compound.....

What your calculation is assuming is a 5% return each time a contribution is made-based on a "dollar-cost-average" balance.

If this were correct, people would have been making at least 63% in the program so far, and they clearly are not.

Don't confuse compound interest with a dollar-cost-average return estimate. You calculation is so far off, I can't understand how you don't see the mistake.
Deep breath...clear your mind of all preconceived notions and focus on the question.

Let's pretend someone is going to go to the bank and make a $100 deposit every two weeks in a savings account that pays X% interest. In order to have a total of $68.42 interest paid after 6 months, how much would X have to be?

Last edited:
Deep breath...clear your mind of all preconceived notions and focus on the question.

Let's pretend someone is going to go to the bank and make a $100 deposit every two weeks in a savings account that pays X% interest. In order to have a total of $68.42 interest paid after 6 months, how much would X have to be?

Andy, don't bother, it's not worth the frustration at all. You are correct, by the way. And SkyNation will not be able to answer your question, he hasn't been told what to think or what to say. Have a great weekend, looking forward to what shakes out in College FBall!

Trojan

Just shy of 9% compounded monthly?

I don't think the point is how big of a percent it does or does not return.

I think the point is, to put in $1200 in 6 months and get $68.42 back before trading commissions and taxes, it's just not worth the hassle.

Just shy of 9% compounded monthly?
You're well short of the mark. Here is the deposit by deposit result if interst were compounded by 1/26th of the annual rate of 18.983% every 2 weeks over the course of 6 months.

Deposit # Amount Cumulative Interest New Tot
1 $100.00 $100.00 $0.73 $100.73
2 $100.00 $200.73 $1.47 $202.20
3 $100.00 $302.20 $2.21 $304.40
4 $100.00 $404.40 $2.95 $407.35
5 $100.00 $507.35 $3.70 $511.06
6 $100.00 $611.06 $4.46 $615.52
7 $100.00 $715.52 $5.22 $720.74
8 $100.00 $820.74 $5.99 $826.74
9 $100.00 $926.74 $6.77 $933.50
10 $100.00 $1,033.50 $7.55 $1,041.05
11 $100.00 $1,141.05 $8.33 $1,149.38
12 $100.00 $1,249.38 $9.12 $1,258.50
13 $100.00 $1,358.50 $9.92 $1,368.42

Last edited:
I don't think the point is how big of a percent it does or does not return.

I think the point is, to put in $1200 in 6 months and get $68.42 back before trading commissions and taxes, it's just not worth the hassle.
Fair enough. What is your plan to do with $100 every two weeks if you don't do this?

Latest resources

Back