• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest denial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard the same number thrown around. 70 a month for 6 months is 420 people. Either we're getting some flying that we don't know about or they are really really understaffed.

I don't see morale as low as some on here claim it is. They are just understaffed and are desperate to cover flying anyway they can. Ethically or un-ethically, once the staffing is fixed I think things will go back to the way they should be.

and what regional airline out there has any better morale? Maybe Republic...

Boy.... Am I going to stir the proverbial pot here!

Skywest by all account appears to want to dominate regional flying. Purchasing other regional carriers as well as aligning themselves now with Alaska not to mention their agreements with United and Delta.. It has also been rumored Soutwest could be in the mix.....

So......... before all you playa haters start a viral campaign against my post, I will confess to not knowing horse excrement about Skywests business. I could care less! BUT.... I will say one thing I know FOR SURE.... Main Line UNION Pilots despise the notion of farming out flying to a non-union carriers unders their brand name!!

And for the guys and gals who profess to be happy at the regional level... Lets just say, every single person in this crazy profession gets that little tingly sensation running up their leg at the simple notion of trading in their little baby barbie jet for a big shiny Bus or Boeing. Only then do they come to their senses and realize it is not the size of the jet but rather the amount they deposit in theit checking and the number of days they have off each month!

Flying is a great profession! I just wish people would recognize the level of liability and accountability each time the release is signed. Then maybe we ALL would benefit!!!!! Just some simple thoughts.......from a simple guy!

I will say one thing I know FOR SURE.... Main Line UNION Pilots despise the notion of farming out flying to a non-union carriers unders their brand name!!

If your telling me Mainline Pilots don't mind their flying done by union carriers but not SkyWest because we are not union, then ya, I'd say you're full of S.

They either hate it or don't care, period.

Everyone thinks the soon to be so-called "pilot shortage" is going to do wonders for our profession (if you can even call this that). Being the cynical and bitter person I am, think that this "shortage" will only make things worse.

This could be what really opens up the gates for the "pilot farms" out there. In reality when it comes to flight training other than the instrument rating what are the main differences between most ratings? Not much and I bet you could incorporate the PVT, IFR, CMEL into one course. Then it would reset that cycle we saw in past few years. Instead of having to get 3 or 4 ratings and pay for around 300 hours of flight time you could get all 3 in one rating for 1/3 of the cost and time.

If your telling me Mainline Pilots don't mind their flying done by union carriers but not SkyWest because we are not union, then ya, I'd say you're full of S.

I agree, I don't think Mainline pilots care who is taking their flying. They see a 3rd party airline taking their flying. Whether its an alpa, teamster or non-union it stings all the same. If anything an alpa airline taking alpa jobs should sting even more. It's like being robbed by your sister.

Last edited:

Full of S! What is S????? But I will give you kudos........ No mainline pilot enjoys the notion of farming out flying to a regional thus inhibiting growth and expansion of his or her own airline. You know.... that thing called seniority and upgrades. And that my friend is a true statement!

Instead of having to get 3 or 4 ratings and pay for around 300 hours of flight time you could get all 3 in one rating for 1/3 of the cost and time.

I agree with your pessimism. If airline management can't use our rear ends, they'll find (or make) another hole to screw us in. However, the 1,500 hour rule (and new rest rules) will make it far more difficult to draw pilots from a farm. With possible growth and definite attrition on the horizon, the current method of getting cheap labor will have to change. Otherwise, the labor costs will "get out of hand" for the airlines.

On a side note, oil prices are escalating the costs of training whole a lot---One more thing to weigh against new-hire pay at a regional.

Actually, some mainline pilots mind more when it's outsourced to non union pilots than to union pilots. Something about riding coattails as well.

From a very practical perspective, they suspect there will be a mainline hiring boom soon so someone with 1500 TPIC will probably not stay around long enough to justify the training investment. You will be current and recent after about a month on line, and could be gone in two months. SKW doesn't have a training contract.

Nothing personal. If you know someone at SKW who can vouch for your personal situation making you more likely to stick around, they might call you. Like if you have an ex-wife and kids in FAT or something like that.

Actually, some mainline pilots mind more when it's outsourced to non union pilots than to union pilots. Something about riding coattails as well.

If you could say anything would definitely get better with alpo, I'd vote tomorrow.

Latest resources

Back