Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capt10Matt

The dude abides
Anyone know anything about an emergency declared in Bakersfield, CA that happened today? Airport closed down for about 15min or so, looks like they landed flaps up for some reason. Hydraulic failure?

In every case I've seen, as long as you have the required landing distance (which BFL does), a flap failure by itself is not an emergency.

In every case I've seen, as long as you have the required landing distance (which BFL does), a flap failure by itself is not an emergency.

Really? Our company considers it an emergency and so does every other 121 carrier I know of. It is an abnormal landing on the CRJ, and depending on weight, it can be very close to max tire speed. You should always declare an emergency with a flap failure so that CFR is standing by in case of tire burst, brake overheat, or running off the end of the runway.

A flap failure by itself is not an emergency, if the only runway is questionable such as braking action, etc. maybe so.

If your company mandates it to be an emergency, so be it.

It's not that big of a deal, I've had a few myself, no biggie.

A flap failure by itself is not an emergency, if the only runway is questionable such as braking action, etc. maybe so.

The point is that in the CRJ-200 a flap failure(0 flap landing) is kind of a big deal. You're dealing with an airplane that has Ref speeds normally around 130-140 or more even, factor out the flaps and you can see a Ref of 180 or even a little more if memory serves. Tell me how landing a 47000# airplane at 180+ kts is not that big of a deal? We used to do it in the sim. ....what a beeotch of an approach.

I'm sure that in a Merlin it's not a big deal, though.

"NOTE: Improper landing technique during a flaps failure can generate nose gear loads sufficient to cause structural damage"

I'd put the pax in the brace position just in case (this happened to one of my FO's with a Mesa check airman). And declare an emergency. What's the big deal? You're going to be filing the same paperwork no matter what happens anyway.

Giving a rat's ass about declaring an emergency is private pilot stuff. You can declare an emergency and explain your specific needs to the controllers without tying up arrivals/departures anyway.

Hell, you can CANCEL an emergency declaration if you figure out a fix ("Oh . . . THAT's the flap lever. Ooops" :) )

Really, it's NBD.

Last edited:
It doesn't cost anything to declare the emergency, but you have to consider VERY, VERY carefully before you brace 'em up...that will create serious emotional truama in some pax, what with the FA screaming her head off the whole way down. I wouldn't do it for a no-flapper, if conditions were forgiving.

It doesn't cost anything to declare the emergency, but you have to consider VERY, VERY carefully before you brace 'em up...that will create serious emotional truama in some pax, what with the FA screaming her head off the whole way down. I wouldn't do it for a no-flapper, if conditions were forgiving.

I understand what you're saying, but emotional trauma just means you lost a future customer (they won't be flying anymore); having a bunch of passengers get their necks snapped and backs broken from whiplash as the nosewheel collapses at 200 mph is quite a bit more serious. I've landed a CRJ at flaps 0 myself in training (aircraft training), and it's NBD, but that NOTE was put in the checklist for a reason.

Besides, this is the sort of thing you have at least 45 minutes (reserve fuel) to calmly explain to the passengers what's going on. If you play your hand right, no one gets hurt, the passengers think you're some sort of flying god, and everyone goes home happy.

On the CRJ are the flaps considered flight controls?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back