• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Cabin Nazi?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't blame the FA. She is just doing her job, and if the FAA saw her ignore your non-approved car seat, then she would be in trouble. The airlines don't exist to cater to your special needs, and tell your child to stop crying; it's annoying all passengers.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with this but here goes.

Most later model car seats approved for aircraft use will have two statements on them. The exact wording escapes me but it is in line with what earlier posters have said. Older model car seats have a different type of labeling that has to be checked. The year the car seat was made determines which labeling is appropriate. The exact wording and labeling is laid out in various company manuals.

When I was flying 19 seaters, I very seldom ran into car seats that didn't meet the requirements but when I did the conversation usually turned into "well the last two airlines let me use it..."

My understanding is that seats that don't have the proper labeling do not meet the required safety criteria (or maybe haven't been tested, I don't really know). I do know that I wouldn't want my kid using one.

The car seat did not have shoulder harnesses and used the seat belt from the seat...Is this a case of a cabin nazi, or is there an FAA regulation against car seat without shoulder restraints?
The FA was correct. Must have a hard back, hard seat, harness & FMVSS. Check out FAR 121.311/.317 or it may have "FAA approved in accordance with 14 CFR 21.305(d) approved for aircraft use only."

If the seat is from another country it might carry the UN "Circle E" symbol.

There are a couple of other things you can look for that are date specific (like pre-1985) and almost never seen anymore.

RE: the assumption/accusation that the FA "wasn't doing her job." The A/C was a 700 model and there's a good chance the FA who "was the Nazi" was the "B" FA who saw the kid during taxi-out while coming forward for her demo. Awfully quick to judge folks...

She was doing her job.
Seems like any car seat with shoulder harness would be safer than in your arms.

I had a couple of flights today coming back from a vacation. The tickets were through United, but the last leg of it was on a Skywest operated flight in a CRJ 700. I was traveling with a 4 year old and she had a car seat that we carried onto the plane. We were told taxiing out that the car seat was against FAA regulations and that she could not sit in it. The plane stopped and the flight attendant took the car seat and put it in an empty seat in the front of the airplane.

My question is, was she right in doing that? I know the folks around us that had to suffer 20 minutes of crying thought that it was not right.

I have never heard of a regulation on the type of car seat that can be used, but I have only flown corporate.

The car seat did not have shoulder harnesses and used the seat belt from the seat.

Either way, the woman was extremely rude and seemed like she just had to express her power some how. It wouldn't have been as bad if one of the 4 other legs that we had been on in the previous week had done the same thing. Each time someone that took our tickets asked if we were going to check the seat, we just said she would sit in it and no one questioned anything.

Is this a case of a cabin nazi, or is there an FAA regulation against car seat without shoulder restraints?

Was this a flight from Denver to Huntsville or Memphis?

Latest resources

Back