• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skyway's last day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I swear the 328Jet is cursed... I was fuloughed off it from ACA in 2003, now my cousin is in 2008.... dang... what an industry....

I think it may have something to do with our family luck as well ;)

Jerky I agree, a "flyby" would be nice. However, I'm just dissapointed we didn't get to ferry them anywhere, I was looking forward to flying it in a tshirt, shorts and flip-flops. Oh well.

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I wasn't going to be out of town, or I'd be there for that last flight. Any chance of a "go around" which might accidentally look like fly-by on that last arrival?

The only thing I never liked- the two-engine go around.

PF- Go around, max power, flaps 20
PNF- Uh, ASAP
PF- Huh?
PNF- Uh, we're at 5, we were cleared to 3, and that loud noise is us doing 220 with the flaps down.
PF- @#$%

For Love of the Dork

Yeah, that plane really only did a handful of things well, but one of them was to climb like a rocket powered bat out of hell.
Personal best was 4500 fpm off the runway and 8200 fpm enroute...
Any word on what Skyway's going to do with the ones they own? I heard from the guys at Myrtle Beach that they were selling refurbished 328 jets for 3-4 million a year or to back when I went to pick up one of ACA's planes from there. Can't touch a Citation CJ2 for that price... I am surprised it never made a bigger impact as a corporate aircraft.

I know at least 1 is going to somebody in Canada however the majority of them I think will be parked for a bit. Word on the street is there is some sort of legal battle going on as to the ownership/lease of the airplanes. Haven't heard where the Beech's are going. Think they were going to be purchased by Great Lakes when they picked up the EAS routes but that has all fallen through.

Captainjerky said:
I heard from the guys at Myrtle Beach that they were selling refurbished 328 jets for 3-4 million a year or to back when I went to pick up one of ACA's planes from there. Can't touch a Citation CJ2 for that price... I am surprised it never made a bigger impact as a corporate aircraft.

The Dorkjet is a good airplane, but to compare it to a CJ-series aircraft is foolish...

A CJ2+ burns around 1100pph the first hour, 750ish every hour after that. It flies faster (410kts) and farther (1500nm) than the Dornier at a fraction of the direct operating cost. Obviously, the Dork has a much larger cabin and more baggage space.

The Dornier is a great shuttle aircraft and seems to be getting even more popular with 91 and 135 operators...but unless you have a LARGE hangar (by bizjet standards) and a need to haul 20-30 people around it simply doesn't compare to a CJ.

The Dorkjet is a good airplane, but to compare it to a CJ-series aircraft is foolish...

A CJ2+ burns around 1100pph the first hour, 750ish every hour after that. It flies faster (410kts) and farther (1500nm) than the Dornier at a fraction of the direct operating cost. Obviously, the Dork has a much larger cabin and more baggage space.

The Dornier is a great shuttle aircraft and seems to be getting even more popular with 91 and 135 operators...but unless you have a LARGE hangar (by bizjet standards) and a need to haul 20-30 people around it simply doesn't compare to a CJ.

That's exactly my point. While it's not for everyone, there would seem to be a niche market that the airplane would be perfect for. So yes, it's slower and slightly shorter-legged than a CJ, but it's much bigger and in my experience with it is a pretty tough plane. (no basis for comparison, never flew a CJ)
I was simply stating that for direct purchase cost, you could get a plane that would seat 10-15 in great comfort (32 in relative comfort), is certified to transport category standards, and has top of the line avionics. Or you could get something much smaller, a bunch faster, that burns probably something like half the fuel per hour.
Either way, it's a moot point until I win the Powerball or something, then maybe I'll buy one of each, eh? Or I saw a B-25 on Ebay once that seemed like a good deal...

We'll see some of your Skyways guys on the line at Avantair. We are still looking for people, too (for now, anyway). When one door closes, another opens. Welcome aboard!

Latest resources

Back