• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skyway: Everyone gets severence pay, except pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Taxiing at less than a Northwest pace is a good one, but then there's also throwing out the gear and flaps 25 miles out. That would send a message to Uncle Tim's wallet.

No reason not to cruise up to ATW, GRR, MSN, etc below 10,000' (and keeping the airspeed safely below 250 kias) either!

Imagine if all of the pilots on the road on April 4 called in sick at their last outstation..........

Let em have a good time picking up airplanes all over the country !!!

Best of Luck to all of the Skyway guys!!!

Last edited:
Everyone is different, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to choose a job over a couple weeks of vacation.

I agree with this statement. Why give up a good job with Republic over a couple weeks of vacation? I am sorry for your current job situation but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'd ask Republic for a later class date (the following month)...

my "i quit" fantasy is to walk off the airplane at an outstation, catch a ride home, and call in and quit on the cell phone. If you do on an overnight, there might be another crew there that could take the plane, but if you do it during a turn, they are screwed...

I wonder what the legal ramifications are for quitting this way?

I agree with this statement. Why give up a good job with Republic over a couple weeks of vacation? I am sorry for your current job situation but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'd ask Republic for a later class date (the following month)...

I did. They weren't willing to move me to the later class because they would have a hard time finding someone to take my spot. I know for a fact they did.

Also, I did not want to be an indentured(sp?) servant for the next 2 years.

my "i quit" fantasy is to walk off the airplane at an outstation, catch a ride home, and call in and quit on the cell phone. If you do on an overnight, there might be another crew there that could take the plane, but if you do it during a turn, they are screwed...

Legal ramifications? You're not a doctor or a nurse, dude. I'm sure your idea would endear passengers to love pilots even less than they do now. Try it.

Isn't that exactly what the old Director of Training, I think, did in GRR for his class at Jet Blue that started in 2 days?

Last edited:
What a bunch of babies spouting a load of crap!

This whole thread strikes me as extremely hypocritical. All I ever hear is how pilot's need to hold their company accountable to their current contract. Then when the company does the same by not paying a severance that isn't in the contract the pilots cry foul. Get real! It's just business. The company lost its contract and therefore the pilots are losing their jobs. It's really that simple and could happen to any of us. What ever happened to pride in workmanship? Those same pilots who prided themselves in their work are now going to crap on that very same company. That doesn't make sense to me. If I were one of them I would try to give 100% right up to the last minute of the very last day. That is what a professional work ethic is all about. And as far as those who try their best to hurt the company on their way out, don't be surprised if that behavior is remembered and comes back to bite you in the ass at some later point in your career.

It seems to me that sometimes you just have to do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.

This whole thread strikes me as extremely hypocritical. All I ever hear is how pilot's need to hold their company accountable to their current contract. Then when the company does the same by not paying a severance that isn't in the contract the pilots cry foul. Get real!

It seems to me that sometimes you just have to do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.

Who's the hypocrite?? The right thing to do isn't withholding money from pilots just because their contract "says we don't have to" and handing it out like candy to everyone else because they didn't have a CBA. If you're talking about the right thing to do, it would be management saying, "even though we had a CBA that may have restricted us from screwing you guys daily, here's the money you rightfully earned after years of hard work, risk, and dedication."

But that would require airline management to act like human beings, and we all know that's impossible when you're a different species altogether. "employerus igotminous"

Latest resources

Back