• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW 3rd Qtr. Earnings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's say you were hired into the turbo prop 5 years ago and now you're what? Still sitting in the right seat of the t-prop at ASA (or Horizon, or Mesa, etc.). Sitting in the left seat of a 70 seater at SKYW, at your base of choice

Typical comment from an RJ newbie.
What happens if your "base of choice" is Brasilia only??? I'll tell you what happens: Your fellow pilots (most of them way more junior) give you a 0% pay raise, and your actual COL and living standard have gone downhill for the past 5+ years, especially in California.
But I'm sure you're not aware SKW still has Brasilias, and most of them flown by guys WAY more senior than you. But who cares as long as YOU're doing allright...

In the event any of that stuff happens, this is the place I want to be. Dog it as you will, but I am glad I am here. 9/11 was not as bad here as it was at other places. I feel with all your poking, you are forgetting the fact that we did not get furloughed. A testament to our management and how they run things. It is funny how your criticism is working. Instead of focusing on your problems you try to put others down to make your own woes not feel so bad. That is sad. JA has been in this from the beginning, if he wants a bit for his family, good for him. He hasn't taken his share and ran like some other CEOs. Your ignorance is so very transparent. This is a good place. Sorry you chose a different route.

Wow, how much of the SGU juice do you drink a day? As stated before, we didn't furlough cuz' Untied guys/gals came over. Not all of it was due to some snazzy business scheme that JA cooked up.

Yes, is this a good place to be. But, man wake up. It is not putting others down to question where the company is taking you. Or do you just approach life like that - I bet mommy and daddy took real good care of you...have you actually worked a real job before this?

JA has been around since the beginning, but he ain't gonna be around forever. Good thing we have something to stand on, when something changes. Not!

Oh, and by the way JA is just doing his job...Nothing more, nothing less.

His job is to run the company so that a profit is made for the shareholders, nothing more, nothing less.

These "feelings" you have for JA and the company and you "think" the company "feels" for you are irrelevant.

Management of Skywest as other managements of companies in other industries have figured out(correctly) that treating their employees decently will lead to happier employees
and better production out of those employees.

However, this DOES NOT preclude or precede the overriding function of any business and the management running it.....TO MAKE A PROFIT!!!!

That's it. No big secret. Just, how do I get the most out of my employee in order to boost profitability?

In the pursuit of making the profit for the shareholders there is nothing that our precious JA won't do!

Open your eyes to what is going on with ASA. How about this last "raise"? How about no COLA increases? The screwing of the Bro pilots. The broken promises that happen over and over....

And before you jump on me for whining....These points illustrate that although it IS a good place to work, it could be better. Management COULD ACTUALLY STAND BY THE THINGS THAT THEY HAVE AGREED TO.

There are those that see that it is a good place to be, that they wish to remain here for a while, or make it better for those who follow, or most likely would like to "get theirs" before they get out.

Whatever our motivations are, sticking our collective heads in the sand just cuz' JA is driving and that somehow makes us "feel good" - is absolutely stupid!

Third quarter - ho hum

Good news for Skywest but if you do the math and compare it to the first of this year and 2006, nothing has changed in the net profit percentage - its still hovering around 5%.

To put that in perspective, if you bring home $5000 a month and your household expenses comprise 95% of your income, you have only $250 left over to see you through the month.

Another way to look at it is to divide the $875,000 reported by 90 days which is $9,722.00 operating revenue per day. Take the profit out of that (5%) and you get daily operating costs of $9,235.00 per day. Divide that into the reported net profit of 42,927 and you get 4.6 days of operating reserve.

Somehow, as a potential investor, I just can't get excited by that. Why invest in a company that manages a 5% net profit margin when most businesses manage 10% or better. Where would you put your money?

No doubt ALPA will want a good portion of that profit in the next contract. No doubt it will not occur to ALPA (as it didn't with the mainline contracts negotiated on the profit curve of the late 1990s) that the company needs that profit to see it through the next down cycle.

No doubt ALPA will want a good portion of that profit in the next contract. No doubt it will not occur to ALPA (as it didn't with the mainline contracts negotiated on the profit curve of the late 1990s) that the company needs that profit to see it through the next down cycle.

What down cycle? The beauty of the regional industry is that you're guaranteed profit! Every flight that leaves for the remainder of the DCI contract (which goes until somewhere around 2020) is on a fee per departure basis. So explain to me again exactly how SkyWest/ASA could possibly lose money?

Obviously you subscribe to the Ron Reber plan of employee compensation rising and falling along with the profits of the company. For me, no thanks. I want to be compensated fairly for my services and not leave my paycheck tied up to the quality of decisions that our stellar management team makes.

Latest resources

Back