• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyCharts Pro and iPad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So how do you get around the statement in the Foreflight license agreement saying it is only for "entertainment" and preflight purposes? Same ground use restriction to JeppTC but that's supposed to be removed fairly soon.

So how do you get around the statement in the Foreflight license agreement saying it is only for "entertainment" and preflight purposes? Same ground use restriction to JeppTC but that's supposed to be removed fairly soon.

Because that's all it is!....I don't ever plan on navigating with an iPad, so I don't care what kind of warnings they put on there.

It's no different than an accukwik or any other reference.

Like you, we have current Jepps with EASy plus usually print a current one from jeppview also...foreflight is just for some general planning IMO....I would never sit there and rely on it to operate, that's what weather radar is for.

iPad just another tool, and a spacesaver....and lord knows the tiny closet on the 7x could use the room!

Because that's all it is!....I don't ever plan on navigating with an iPad, so I don't care what kind of warnings they put on there.

It's no different than an accukwik or any other reference.

Like you, we have current Jepps with EASy plus usually print a current one from jeppview also...foreflight is just for some general planning IMO....I would never sit there and rely on it to operate, that's what weather radar is for.

iPad just another tool, and a spacesaver....and lord knows the tiny closet on the 7x could use the room!

That would be the correct way to use the program. However, it appears some are thinking they can just get rid of all the paper charts and use Foreflight ase their only source of charting. That's OK only with the windows based version of Jeppview/Flitedeck.

That would be the correct way to use the program. However, it appears some are thinking they can just get rid of all the paper charts and use Foreflight ase their only source of charting. That's OK only with the windows based version of Jeppview/Flitedeck.

I've read the pertinent AC's and I don't find where it says you can't in lieu of paper, assuming we're all straight Pt. 91.

AC 120-76A: "Other part 91 operations do not require any specific authorization for EFB operations provided the EFB does not replace any system or equipment required by the
regulations."

AC 91-78: "Class 1 and Class 2 EFB can be used during all phases of flight
operations in lieu of paper reference material when the information displayed meets the
following criteria:
a. The EFB system does not replace any system or equipment (e.g. navigation,
communication, or surveillance system) that is required by 14 CFR part 91.
b. The EFB system on board the aircraft displays only precomposed or interactive
information which are functionally equivalent to the paper reference material which the
information is replacing or is substituted for.
c. The interactive or precomposed information being used for navigation or performance
planning is current, up-to-date, and valid, as verified by the pilot.
d. The operator complies with requirements of 14 CFR part 91, § 91.21 to ensure that the
use of the EFB does not interfere with equipment or systems required for flight."

Again, this is strictly Part 91. Any other, including fractionals, is out the window. You may find in the AC's lists of requirements that would exclude the iPad and then shortly after there'll be a note saying, in short, "doesn't apply to Part 91". Is it wise to have zero backup? No. Can you do it Part 91? Everything I see points to yes. Not trying to challenge you here but seriously, if you find something to the contrary, let us know. A LOT of people are starting to use the iPad. I think Foreflight's disclosure is a CYA.

Can you do it Part 91? Everything I see points to yes. Not trying to challenge you here but seriously, if you find something to the contrary, let us know.

I think the point is that under the AC, Part 91 can use anything the PIC thinks is good enough. The question is weather the PIC should consider a piece of software that states it's for "ground use only" or "entertainment purposes only" good enough. That's up to the individual PIC...

I spoke to one of the developers at Foreflight and he said they have approval for Part 135 and are working on a 121 major for the same. I don't know about the disclaimer but will try to find out. Looking to go that route when our Jepp sub expires.

As of today, Jeppesen has removed the "ground use only" restriction in their EULA. So, Part 91 with iPad and JeppTC is good to go. Foreflight still has the ground only restriction in their EULA.

Latest resources

Back