SkyCharts Pro and iPad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cowboypilot

Considering dropping the renweal for our USA NOS charts, A/FD, and Hi/LO ($1,403/yr) for an iPad and the $20 app from Skycharts Pro. And use Jeppview for the Latin America procedures. Any inputs from those who have this? As I understand it I enter the from/to info and it pulls up the charts. What then? does it cache all the plates and charts for that route? We dont fly alot and I think I will usually have more than ample notice to use this app.
Pros/Cons

Scott

If all you need is charts try av charts. Just search by airport code and you can save charts also. It will tell you when the charts expire. Also it has a scratch pad on the charts so you can outline taxi routes or clerances right on the chart.

Love it. To me foreflight is great but to expensive. You can get all of the same info online just as easy. Sky charts you can cache charts. In the ifr envriroment it is extremely fast. All of my charts are saved very easy, no internet needed in the plane. Enroute, you get a fix and type it in and your chaRt goes right to it. Secondly when your viewing plates for the airport, say a take off departure procedure (not the pictoriL depRtures, sids) it goes straight to the page, no searching through all of the take off minimums. In practical use it is fast to operate enroute. The only issue for you will be the high charts. They are not on it yet, on his page it says they may be there in the future.

Check out Foreflight

X2

Foreflight is only $75 and it has all the Hi, Low, and VFR charts all stitched together. On top of the charts it gives second-to-none preflight info. I personally love the radar and other wx charts and also how the Notams are broken down in plain English and categorized with quick-to-find icons(i.e., runway Notams will have a runway sign icon). I could go on. As above, all charts are stored on the iPad(about 4GB for the entire set). Foreflight does support GPS if you have the 3G version but don't plan on the iPad seeing satellites if you have a heated windshield. And if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can put all the charts on it under the same subscription to use as a backup. If you find out it doesn't work out for you in the cockpit, you can throw it in the back for someone to play with.

I will also throw in with the Foreflight crowd. It is being used by several 135 operators (paperless cockpit). I'm hearing rumors of one of the majors going to it soon. Any way, a good tool. I thought it was cool on the iPhone but on the iPad--wow.

Foreflight has some decent info - and for $75 it at least replaces the accukwik...

We are going with iPads for each pilot so each person can be responsible for their own Jeppview. Also will use Goodreader (or ?) for PDFs, FOM, CAE Training records, MELs, Service Advisorys, AFM etc etc and anything else you want to keep. Its a great, cheap way to assure everyone is current on all documents. No upkeep in the office, no emails, no babysittiing if Joe Idiot got the memo, no BS...:)

Synch'ing Google Calendar with everyones iPad is also a great way to keep everyone up to date on the schedule, requested time off, Doctors, etc etc that used to clog up email all day. Add an event and it shows up on everyones Ipad.

Still very much in the learning phase but these may alleviate many headaches in the average flight department (at least ours!)

Foreflight has some decent info - and for $75 it at least replaces the accukwik...

We are going with iPads for each pilot so each person can be responsible for their own Jeppview. Also will use Goodreader (or ?) for PDFs, FOM, CAE Training records, MELs, Service Advisorys, AFM etc etc and anything else you want to keep. Its a great, cheap way to assure everyone is current on all documents. No upkeep in the office, no emails, no babysittiing if Joe Idiot got the memo, no BS...:)

Synch'ing Google Calendar with everyones iPad is also a great way to keep everyone up to date on the schedule, requested time off, Doctors, etc etc that used to clog up email all day. Add an event and it shows up on everyones Ipad.

Still very much in the learning phase but these may alleviate many headaches in the average flight department (at least ours!)
yep, I like. probably go that way too. If they would only allow PW protected excel files to work on iPad ( i have tried ALL the apps), then we could do expenses on it too.

yep, I like. probably go that way too. If they would only allow PW protected excel files to work on iPad ( i have tried ALL the apps), then we could do expenses on it too.

Documents To Go Office Suite for iPad SAYS you can open Password protected excel files (97-2008)...Im guessing you have tried that?..or maybe its the editing part thats the issue?

http://forums.dataviz.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1101

Never needed anything like it yet, guess I am lucky...:)

Latest resources

Back