Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HA25

Tokyo Tokyo!
I just read this from the latest Airline Pilot (ALPA magazine) from the "Mail Bag" Section... Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

"We need to educate the next generation on the importance of protecting the profession. Why pilots shouldn't fly transport category airplanes for less than the standard union wage, for example. How doing that might make a pilot's prospects of flying for a legitimate ALPA airline doubtful and how by selling himself out, a pilot is actually selling out his pilot colleagues. How time is built on night freight or in an F16 and not in the cockpit of an A320 at $45,000 per year!
-Capt Rissel D. Roberts (Northwest)

(taken from the May 2007 ALPA Airline Pilot)

I like this new more militant ALPA.. ;)

comments?

And what about all the guys who paid for $10,500 for training in order to fly a BE-1900 for a commuter did they get a job? ALPA is more and more becoming a laughing stock. If you are a union carrier making low wages its ok but if you are non-union you are somehow ruining the profession. Save me the diatribe.

OK, Guys, once again-

What we really need is a Guild . . . . . one that says "From this day forward, no Pilot will operate a B___ aircraft for less than $___. per hour.

Your existing union is still your union, but they cannot negotiate any pay rates below the rate set by the national Guild.

This way, the issue of pilot pay is "off the table". It cannot be used as a competitive advantage any longer.

And what about the CAL first year F/Os who gross $30K and have to pay for health care the first 6 months? The new more militant, hypocritical ALPA. Oops, I missed the "standard union wage" part. LOL

Skybus

My buddy did an interview last week with one of the guys from Skybus. He said one of his questions he got asked was " How do you feel about making much less than the industry standard wages that skybus pays?

Classic!

And what about all the guys who paid for $10,500 for training in order to fly a BE-1900 for a commuter did they get a job? ALPA is more and more becoming a laughing stock. If you are a union carrier making low wages its ok but if you are non-union you are somehow ruining the profession. Save me the diatribe.

ALPA may suck, but it's all you got. Believe me it's better than nothing.

In 2000 a friend of mine asked me if I wanted a Job at National. He was friends with the Chief pilot and said he could get me on unless I did something really dumb in the interview. I politely declined the offer and said there was no way I could wake up in the morning and look myself in the mirror as a 757 cpt. making 60,000 a year. We all know that paying substandred wages doesn't guarantee an airlines success.

Heard them on the radio for the 1st time yesterday. Controller kept calling them SkyLab.

Pilot got perturbed and corrected him 3 times.

Finally, the controller said "whatever". I don't think that Indy Center is deveotin too many brain cells to remembering another call sign. Especially one that is destined for such "great" things. :cool:

You forget the thousands of stock options a year they get. If the options are structured well and the company takes off (no pun intended)then those pilot may just be millionaires in the future.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back