• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus the Latest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They had a good product and while their pay might have been a little low to start, if they had been sucessful, those guys would have been millionaires on their options and the pay would have gone up. You have to start somewhere. Competition is a good thing.
You slay me.

yeah, I think we need to take away instructordude's post privileges out of fairness to those who have common sense.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

A puss-filled boil has just been lanced from the giant buttocks that is the present-day US air-carrier industry.

For everyone who has a contract that uses industry comparisons to set your hourly rates - congratulations. Everyone gets a raise!

No sympathy for any pilots here. Maybe some for other support employees who didn't know what they were getting involved in. The pilots knew.

VA next.

PIPE

GOOD RIDDANCE!

A puss-filled boil has just been lanced from the giant buttocks that is the present-day US air-carrier industry.

For everyone who has a contract that uses industry comparisons to set your hourly rates - congratulations. Everyone gets a raise!

No sympathy for any pilots here. Maybe some for other support employees who didn't know what they were getting involved in. The pilots knew.

VA next.

PIPE

No no no! That's usapa you're refering to!!

WD

yeah, I think we need to take away instructordude's post privileges out of fairness to those who have common sense.

Common sense? Somebody trying to feed his family by going to work has quite a bit in my eyes.

Maybe some of these guys were at ACA? Oh yeah, they should have gone to FedEx, Airtran, Southwest or UPS instead of Skybus. Got some news for everybody, NOT EVERYBODY WINS THE LOTTERY AND GETS ON WITH Fedex, Airtran, Southwest or UPS. Bottomline, you have to take what is available and take care of your family.

I am sad to see them go too. I was hoping to get a left seat job there, instead of starting off as some lousy gear-jerker at one of the legacy airlines. I thought Skybus was a cool idea.

Plus pilots made more first year there than at CAL. AND they paid medical benefits to new hires.. Unlike bottom feeder CAL.

Maybe some of these guys were at ACA? Oh yeah, they should have gone to FedEx, Airtran, Southwest or UPS instead of Skybus. Got some news for everybody, NOT EVERYBODY WINS THE LOTTERY AND GETS ON WITH Fedex, Airtran, Southwest or UPS. Bottomline, you have to take what is available and take care of your family.

While no fan of Skybus, I have got to second this. I know from personal experience that not everyone will get the brass ring of an established major airline job. I have watched friends, many with far less experience (and some with black marks as well) get jobs at Southwest, Continental, Delta, AirTran, Northwest, United, UPS and USAirways, while my app goes mostly un-noticed. I know several others in the same boat as me. Who knows why. But the fact is for those who want to make a living in aviation, an established major may not be in the cards for one reason or another.

If you truly believe in capitalism and a free market economy, then you have no right to hold a grudge against anyone taking a job at a place like Skybus.

I am not sad that Skybus is gone (hey maybe my company can pick up some of their long sought after A319s really cheap now). But as Skybus was a stand-alone company, not operating as an alter-ego, and their pilots were not crossing any picket lines or flying struck work, I cannot hold a grudge against their pilots for trying to catch a break in a free market.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

VA next.

PIPE

Hey, didn't you post about taking a risk yourself?

Something like this:

"That was the reality a few years ago when I was there (after giving up on my own major airline seniority number).

I guess my point is that everyone at every airline has had to do their own risk/reward computation. Many at f9 took big risks and were handsomely rewarded. I fear that the risk is rearing it's head now."

You were an idiot to give up your seniority number. Too bad it worked out for you. It would have been nice to come on here and watch people revel in your misfortune.

I don't care WHERE you collect a paycheck. There's no airline that's immune to this. Any of the airlines operating today could be gone within a year.

Good luck to ALL the pilots out of jobs.

EXACTLY. These idiots on here who call the guys at "sub par" airlines selfish need to go take a look in the mirror. These guys don't give a crap about the industry as a whole as they claim. They are as selfish as anyone. They care about one thing. The $ amount deposited into the bank on payday. They would rather the guys that don't get the "dream" jobs just quit flying instead of work where they can work so they their $160/hr rate won't be at risk. Get off your high horses. I can assure you that a majority of the Skybus guys would have gladly taken a class date with the FedEx's and UPS's of the world. But guess what....they didn't have the option. They took the best option afforded to them. You can't fault anyone for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back