Skybus Airlines $10 Fares

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skybus starts with $10 air fares on May 22

NEW YORK, April 24 (Reuters) - Skybus Airlines Inc., a new U.S. budget carrier, on Tuesday said it will start flying on May 22 with $10 one-way tickets available on all flights.

"Beginning today, passengers can buy airline tickets for less than the cost of a tank of gas," Skybus CEO Bill Diffenderffer said in a statement.
The launch of the new low-cost carrier, which is based in Columbus, Ohio, could pressure established carriers like AMR Corp's (AMR.N: Quote, Profile , Research) American Airlines and Delta Air Lines Inc. (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research).
Skybus, which plans to acquire more than 70 aircraft over the next five years, hopes to be able to undercut rivals by selling advertising space inside and outside its planes and charging for priority seating and checking bags.

It keeps costs down by only taking reservations over the Internet and not staffing a call center.
The start-up carrier, which has raised $160 million from investors, will have at least 10 seats available for $10 on its flights through Dec. 15. The $10 tickets don't include taxes and fees.
Last-minute fares run as high as $330, spokesman Bob Tenenbaum said.
Skybus plans to fly initially from Columbus to Burbank, California; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Richmond, Virginia; and Kansas City, Missouri.
On May 29, it plans to add service to Bellingham, Washington; Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina; and Fort Lauderdale.
In June, Skybus plans to begin flying to Oakland, California.

OMG! That's pathetic. Do they fly from Fresno to Chicago non stop?

Just kidding.

huh???

I almost blew a nut laughing at this......

In order to keep wages in line with their projected low fares, flight attendants will only be paid $9 per flight hour, and will not be paid per diem. While this is considerably lower than competing airlines' wages, flight attendants will also receive 10% of all sales made during the flight, splitting all commissions evenly among all flight attendants on-board. Starting pilot wages will also be well below average, starting at $65,000 annually

from www.skybus.com

The Skybus Rules of Flying

On Skybus, you pay only for what you check. The first two bags are 5 bucks apiece. After that, it’s $50 a bag (yeah, so pack smartly).

Hungry? Thirsty? Bring cash.
Most people love our full cocktail bar and food menu, but if you’re not into that, it won’t cost you a penny. Why should your ticket cost include your neighbor’s dinner? That also goes for blankets and pillows–which, by the way, you get to keep if you buy. Oh, and don’t sneak food onboard unless you brought enough for the whole plane

Don’t call us.
We don’t have a phone number. Seriously. We’d love to chat, but those phone banks are expensive.

Yeah, we’ve got preferred seats. Sort of.
There are no fancy reclining beds onboard, but you can pay 10 bucks extra to board our brand-new A319 airplanes before anyone else.

Last edited:
I was going to apply just so I can give them $hit when they call me.

What a joke. I hope they don't stick around......PLEASE GOD....I hope they don't stick around.

so fa's make about $9000/year plus some pathetic commission and CA's start out at 65,000/year. I hope this piece of Sh#t airline goes down in flames. I for one don't think anybody willing to sit in the left seat of an Airbus for 65k deserves jumpseat privelages, period. The bottom feaders who accept these jobs better not plan on commuting.

Looks like someone has photocopied a few pages out of the eurotrash airline Ryanair's book. The only faith I have is that there will not be enough O/D (origination / destination) to sustain this craphole-blackeye to the true professionals who try to still make a career out this industry.

My advice to prospective pilots for this outfit. I'd move to Columbus. I doubt you'd get many jumpseats to CMH. I'd also rent in Columbus, with a provision in the contract for early lease termination.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back