• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FmrFreightDog

Py-lote
Just curious,

I hear you guys in Atlanta all the time with flight numbers like 92L or 33X (just examples, not actual numbers). I know sometimes when there's a through flight at ASA and both legs of the through flight will be in the ATC system at the same time, they'll put an A on the end of our flight number, but I'm just curious about the reason behind such high letters tagged onto the end of the flight number. Is there any significance or is it just a random thing?

Thanks

It's just a random thing that the SKYW flights get out of SLC. Apparently there was too much confusion over similar sounding flight numbers so they decided to do the letter thing.

The real reason is we have flight's with through flight numbers (ex. 3411 boi-slc then 3411 slc-oma) so the second flight get a new ATC call sing because the old one takes 1 hour to drop out of the system.. Hence the first flight "SKY 3411" call sing and the second "SKY 11B"

The real reason is we have flight's with through flight numbers (ex. 3411 boi-slc then 3411 slc-oma) so the second flight get a new ATC call sing because the old one takes 1 hour to drop out of the system.. Hence the first flight "SKY 3411" call sing and the second "SKY 11B"

That doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. But then again, SLC seems to be its own ATC animal.

Now at ORD we've been instructed that you're supposed to say each number separately. i.e, 5484 = "Five-Four-Eight-Four". Some controllers do it, some don't.

That doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. But then again, SLC seems to be its own ATC animal.

Now at ORD we've been instructed that you're supposed to say each number separately. i.e, 5484 = "Five-Four-Eight-Four". Some controllers do it, some don't.

Isn't SLC the place where the controllers have been instructed to no longer say things like "Good Day" and "Thanks"?

I was on Chicago center the other day, and it was confusing for everybody, there was an American 687, United 1687, Delta 657 and United 657 (not sure if i remembered the flight numbers exactly but you get the idea) all on the frequency at the same time. To cap it off we were skywest 5525 and there was a skwest 6525 on also. (or something similar to that). They need to do something to change up the flight numbers.

To cap it off we were skywest 5525 and there was a skwest 6525 on also. (or something similar to that). They need to do something to change up the flight numbers.

My understanding is that this is more so the reason for the phonetic additions to the calls-signs; to avoid similar sounding ones. Even though it still happens often in the LA/SFO systems.

We switch airplanes with the same flight number so if one flight is late it is on final with a 3400 number and the other one on the take off roll with the same call number.

Latest resources

Back