• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skills needed to be an A&P

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the original question posed by no1pilot2000......

I'm in A&P school right now and very much enjoying it. The math and physics review typically comes at you early in the program, and it kicks a lot of guys' butts. It is NOT particularly difficult, but if you're rusty in those subject areas, pay more attention to them. A couple classmates are pretty good on the line and in the shop, but the math almost knocked them out of the program in the first month.

That being said, I would suggest that there are two critical characteristics that every aspiring A&P should possess. The first is mechanical aptitude. My experience has been that this really can't be taught. Some guys have a knack for working with their hands and others just don't. It becomes fairly evident who's who during the first few days in the shop. A separate but related skill is what I'd called mechanical instinct. Some guys can simply put their hands on a plane and tell what's wrong with it. I exaggerate but you get the idea. This kind of diagnostic intuition grows somewhat with experience--- but you can have all the intuition in the world and still be an idiot with a wrench in your hands. Possess aptitude and aspire to instinct.

The second critical characteristic is curiosity. Lots of C's there, wow. I'm doing well in the program, but I know that 1) the "labs" that we do in the shop are only somewhat transferable to the real world, and 2) I will still know next to nothing when I attain my legal ability to sign for crap. I take flak from my classmates because I'm always ripping stuff apart in the hangar whenever we have a break. I started troubleshooting a fuel leak in one of our planes the other day because I wanted to learn something, and one of my instructors basically handed me the assignment and told me to figure it out. Two days, a lot of spilled gas, and a bazillion phonecalls later, I've almost got a new fuel cell on order-- and I've got a whole heck of a lot more knowledge than the other guys in my class (but I still need some more info, so I'm getting ready to post a new thread here in this forum...). And this is "extracurricular." That same instructor is very generous with his own aircraft and those that he works on, and I learned more in 15 hours at the airport with him and some other guys than I could have in a month of classes. You've gotta go the extra mile and figure this stuff out, it's a LOT of material. Not hard, but your effectiveness as a mechanic improves drastically with real experience.

In summary:

1.) Have mechanical aptitude, seek to develop mechanical instinct.
2.) Go the extra mile and learn stuff, it's not gonna fall into your brain.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions as they come up.

-9G

I am interested in becoming an A&P mechanic. What kinds of math, English, or science skills does a person need to become an aircraft mechanic?

When I was a mechanic all of the other guys I worked with always told me,"You have to be smarter than the part."

Very well put 9GCLUB.
#3 to your list to be come a successful A&P...

Troubleshooting!

Once you are into the career and have been lead into an area that you become comfortable in (whether that is in piston power plant, turbines, avionics, electrical or airframe) you need to have the abilaty to trouble shoot a squawk to a part or condition.
I have had a few stumpers that kept me busy, but I never felt less of a mechanic for asking for help.

I could not agree more that the #1 trait needed is Mechanical Aptitude. I got my A&P from a two year school before I went to a Big 10 University. Most of the guys I went to A&P School were ex military using their benefits or farmer’s kids. They were all better mechanics than I was. I had no trouble with the book work but they all kicked my a$$ hands down during our “labs”. Having never worked with my hands I really struggled with basic hands on stuff. I now have the up most respect for MX folks when I drop off an aircraft at our service centers. I got the piece of paper but if you give me a tool than I might hurt myself or the airplane. My Dad is a great mechanic for the airlines but MX skills is not always inherited. He always said that sometimes all pilots are good for is “see light, push button, and get banana”. I don’t always think that’s true but maybe sometimes. One last thing. I had to take engineering level calc / physics for my BS, but the hardest class I ever took was technical drawing in A&P School. You either have the skills or you don’t. Hope this helps and good luck.

I could not agree more that the #1 trait needed is Mechanical Aptitude. I got my A&P from a two year school before I went to a Big 10 University. Most of the guys I went to A&P School were ex military using their benefits or farmer’s kids. They were all better mechanics than I was. I had no trouble with the book work but they all kicked my a$$ hands down during our “labs”. Having never worked with my hands I really struggled with basic hands on stuff. I now have the up most respect for MX folks when I drop off an aircraft at our service centers. I got the piece of paper but if you give me a tool than I might hurt myself or the airplane. My Dad is a great mechanic for the airlines but MX skills is not always inherited. He always said that sometimes all pilots are good for is “see light, push button, and get banana”. I don’t always think that’s true but maybe sometimes. One last thing. I had to take engineering level calc / physics for my BS, but the hardest class I ever took was technical drawing in A&P School. You either have the skills or you don’t. Hope this helps and good luck.

You are right...it is a GIFT.

Latest resources

Back