kshunz

FI Supporter
Type aircraft owned
Cub Crafters FX-3, Cessna 182R
Base airport
S50
Ratings
Commercial SEL, SES, Instrument, and CFI
I have an odd issue with the XM audio from my Garmin G3X. This is in a Cub Crafters FX-3, delivered about 5 months ago. From the start, there was no audio at all. Last week I took it back to Yakima, where they found and corrected a bad connector. But on the flight home, I realized that only a few of the channels actually work -- most of them are silent. Channels 1-12 work, and a couple others like 15 and 17. All of the channels I tried above 20 were silent.

Hard to believe this could be a hardware issue. Any ideas?

Have you tried sending a signal to re-activate it? Although typically if not activated you'd only get channel 1. I realize CC should have given you a 3 month free trial activation but you may want to subscribe, if you haven't already, and check the plan.

Another option to check is look up from under the panel at the back right of the G3X - right as if you're flying. There are two BNC connectors, one of those is the SiriusXM connector. Make sure they are secure. You should be able to do so without removing the GDU.

I have an odd issue with the XM audio from my Garmin G3X. This is in a Cub Crafters FX-3, delivered about 5 months ago. From the start, there was no audio at all. Last week I took it back to Yakima, where they found and corrected a bad connector. But on the flight home, I realized that only a few of the channels actually work -- most of them are silent. Channels 1-12 work, and a couple others like 15 and 17. All of the channels I tried above 20 were silent.

Hard to believe this could be a hardware issue. Any ideas?
I picked up a new FX-3 and just got it home. I had to send a refresh signal to it and I see the channel listing but none of the channels are playing audio. Let me know if you find a fix.

I picked up a new FX-3 and just got it home. I had to send a refresh signal to it and I see the channel listing but none of the channels are playing audio. Let me know if you find a fix.

Likewise, I had no XM audio even though the channels showed up fine. I took it back to Cub Crafters and they fixed it -- I got the impression that they found multiple problems with the wiring.

But then I had the situation reported above, where only some of the channels worked. After I tried multiple refreshes, I called Sirius. They said something like "OK, try it now" and it has worked perfectly since then.

I think I'll start with last and call Sirius XM. I don't know that there is much to it other than connect the radio to the G3X which is a simple twist on BNC connector. Will report back. I don't plan to renew Sirius XM as I never use it and would just use bluetooth to my phone if I want music. I just want to make sure it's working.

Follow up: as discussed with SiriusXM we let the trial expire and now that I’m subscribed to both music and weather all is working perfect.

Latest resources

Back