Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Single Engine Commercial Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


Well-known member
Apr 23, 2002
Now that the pilot job market is just plain crap, I need to get a CSEL rating on my license. You see I was in such a hurry to get started on a flying career 3 years ago, I only took the CMEL ride and therefore had a restriction imposed on my license (i.e. Commercial privileges for MEL only). Does anybody know if I have to go and take the whole Commercial check ride process over including oral exam etc. Or, can I just find an examiner and do some chandelles and lazy 8's and have my ticket. Thanks in advance guys!

The examiner may ask of you anything contained in the practical test standards for commercial pilot, single engine land. The same applies to the oral portion of the exam.

However, it is most likely you will be asked to demonstrate some performance maneuvers and routine maneuvers at the commercial level, with little else. You will probably shoot a couple of approaches, and perform some air work to include a chandelle or lazy eight. If these have been demonstrated before, you may not get asked to perform them, but then again, you may.

Your question appears to ask if you must pass the practical test for the SEL class rating. Yes, you must. The nature of the practical test involves both flying and talking, so the oral is part of the practical.

What will actually be performed on the practical test is up to the examiner, but it must include enough representative tasks from the practical test standards that the examiner may be satisfied that you can operate the airplane at the commercial level. You should contact the specific examiner with whom you intend to fly, and see if they have any input on the ride they will give. Many examiners can give you a rundown on what to expect, with them.

You will also require an endorsement in your logbook by a flight instructor, recommending you to take the practical test. You actually require two endorsements; one attesting to your competency in knowledge for the rating sought, and one attesting to your proficiency (flight) for the rating sought. This provides that you must have received training or instruction from the person signing your logbook (in order for them to have found you proficient).

No knowledge exam ("written") is required.

When you get this endorsement, get it from an instructor familiar with the examiner to be used. He or she should be familiar with what that examiner typically does on a checkride.

Latest resources