Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Singapore Airline requirements and life as pilot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jmolina

filam01
To: Pilots who fly for Singapore or have an interview

Thanks for reading this post. I wanted to find out Singapore Airlines pilot requirements to be granted an interview? Do I need a JAA conversion? I am not able to find out on their website. I understand there is a five year contract. I would like to know more about the pilot's life as a Singapore airline pilot, do I need to know someone to get accepted. Can I fly over there to hand in my resume in person? All information would be a great help. Thanks ahead of time!

jmolina said:

Thanks for reading this post. I wanted to find out Singapore Airlines pilot requirements to be granted an interview? Do I need a JAA conversion? I am not able to find out on their website. I understand there is a five year contract. I would like to know more about the pilot's life as a Singapore airline pilot, do I need to know someone to get accepted. Can I fly over there to hand in my resume in person? All information would be a great help. Thanks ahead of time!

The only expats that Singapore hires normally are Captains. I suggest you check Flight International Magazine on line.

About a year ago, they did hire fo's for the cargo side. Singapore based, salary good, great set-uo for your family.

jmolina said:

I don't work for Singapore, but know some people who have and have followed their hiring for many years. I also spend a lot of time in Singapore on overnights, as it is a major transit point for our flights to Oz.

Singapore has hired expat F.O.s in the past. Many of the people I know who worked their were expat F.O.s from Australia and Malaysia. They were hiring expat F.O.s just last year on the Cargo side. Whether or not they are doing so right now, I do not know. As mentioned above, check both Pprune and for advertisements in the back of Flight International.

I just flew with a young guy who left their after 7 years. He is originally Malaysian and married to an Australian. Even with command prospects coming up within a few years he was tired of the place and made the move to Emirates. He and about 8 other guys have come over in the last year. We've also got a number of Direct Entry Captain who had worked there for many years and wanted out.

I say that just to make you aware it isn't a great place to work. It could be a means to an end, but be careful. They require a serious bond and a bank guarantee for the training. The length of these is five years. If you leave before then they will pursue you. The bank guarantee, which is virtually unheard of anywhere else, means you will be paying them back for the training.

The Singapore Cargo and Singapore mainline contracts are very different. The cargo contract has been improved recently, but it still lags behind mainline conditions. Neither side allows you to bid for your schedule. You are simply assigned one. The governement and ex-Air Force Generals run the show and simply impose their conditons on the pilot group as they feel necessary. The pilots took a big pay cut as a result of SARs that has just now been returned even while Singapore made record profits the previous year.

I like Singapore as a city. It is very clean and transportation is efficient. Lots of good restaurants and a fair number of activities. The weather is about the same every day of the year. Partly cloudy with a chance of thundershowers and 32 degrees Centigrade. It is expensive though. A decent flat near the city is going to run you over 3000 Sing dollars per month. You can forget about a car, they are so heavily taxed that it makes ownership very dear. Taxis are cheap and the subway is quite good so getting around town isn't difficult.

If you are looking to go there as a way to get a 747-400 type and some time flying heavy international then it could be a good move. If you are looking to go there as a career then you missed the good times by about 30 years.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
Cadet Pilot and Expat First Officer are two different things. My airline has Expat First Officers AND has a Cadet Program for nationals. When an airline is paying for all of your flight and ground training, especially when it is owned by the government, do you really think they would take foreigners as Cadets? TP

Latest resources

Back