Sim time as PIC time??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
paulsalem said:
What about the 141 PCATD time? Does that need to be logged in the students personal log book? If so, do you log the approaches too?
Whether you log something at all is a very different question than what column you put it in. Doesn't matter if it's Part 141 or Part 61.

If you are going to use something toward the requirements for certificates, ratings or currency, it has to be logged. That's pretty much the most basic bottom line rule of logging.

The only way you can log sim time as flight time is if one of those hurricanes rips the sim right out of the ground and throws the thing in the air.

Side Note: You would have to be in it during said hurricane

Checks said:
The only way you can log sim time as flight time is if one of those hurricanes rips the sim right out of the ground and throws the thing in the air.

Side Note: You would have to be in it during said hurricane

Well.... Not quite. I do applaud you on thinking in the right direction or at least "out side of the box" --- sorry, I just could not help my self....

Part 61.51 discribes PIC time in "an Aircraft". In this case, you can not consider a simulator "an Aircraft" to satisfy 61.51.

JAFI

61.51 (e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

midlifeflyer said:
Whether you log something at all is a very different question than what column you put it in. Doesn't matter if it's Part 141 or Part 61.

If you are going to use something toward the requirements for certificates, ratings or currency, it has to be logged. That's pretty much the most basic bottom line rule of logging.

Sorry Mark, I'm a little slow here. So if I logged sim time for my inst rating, would it be dual/PIC? Or would it be dual/sim and still be applicable to my commercial requirement of 250 hrs?

It would be dual and sim. Never PIC (as a number of folks already pointed out, even with the FAA's sometimes incomprehensible rules about logging, there's no such thing as pilot in command of a virtual airplane that you can run into the side of a mountain without getting hurt).

So if I logged sim time for my inst rating, would it be dual/PIC? Or would it be dual/sim and still be applicable to my commercial requirement of 250 hrs?
That is an excellent question! There's a some hokey discussions in the Part 61 FAQ about double counting stuff that can make you want to scream, but, FWIW, my answer is that

if

(a) the sim qualifies for both uses (remember that the sim for the instrument rating needs only to be category-specific but the sim for the commercial needs to be category/class specific); and

(b) the training time in the sim covers areas of operation that apply to both the instrument rating and the commercial certificate

then sure, the instrument sim time that was countable for 61.65(e) purposes would be countable to the "Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device" in 61.129(i).

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back