• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sim Prep for UAL interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can I ask what is unique about United's sim check that warrants a sim prep for anyone flying a normal schedule? I'm going to visit Albief15 at the end of the month for an interview prep, but need to consider the sim prep as well. I don't have any interviews scheduled.

If you're a guy flying transport stuff already that's been in a level D box, it's probably not a big deal however guys that have spent their career in fighters or something completely different will benefit.

This may not be the right thread to ask this, but does anyone know where new hires are being placed (a/c and base.) How long would it take for a newhire to get out to the west coast. And is Guam strictly voluntary or do guys get assigned it? Thanks, and if this is not the place or time I apologize.

When I interviewed we were using the MD80 sim. I was coming off the Airbus and had not flown steam gauges in... well I don't know how long.

I did a sim prep up in Dallas. My line of thinking is I would rather do it and not need it than be leaving the interview wishing I had done the prep. For $475, it was worth it.

CPT in Dallas was worth in IMO ($595). Sim was challenging to fly but I think I did better in the interview having flown it. I also did Emerald Coast and I recommend that as well. Unless you are an amazing interview type of person ...I am not, they have very good tips and strategies that will make you "sell" yourself better than if you just winged it. There are not many times you get to interview with a Major in your life and if you botch something, you would seriously regret not paying the $400 and/or $595 to get the job.

If you really want the job, spend the money. Do both sim and interview prep. If you're simply shopping airlines and aren't that picky and money is an issue, then perhaps you can save a few bucks by winging it.

That's not how I approached the process but I'm sure others were successful without any prep.

I have done glass to steam gauge (RJ FO to EMB120 CPT) Even though I had flown the plane before it was a challenge doing steam gauges again.

Why walk into a gunfight with a butter knife? Drop the dime to pay for the sim you'll be tested in, probably by the guys your buying it from.

Whats their sim profile? Take off, enter hold, then shoot an ILS?

The applicant study guide they send you when you get the call is stamped in big red letters "give this to anyone and we'll kill you."

Seriously, it's confidential, but not cosmic.

Can I ask what is unique about United's sim check that warrants a sim prep for anyone flying a normal schedule? I'm going to visit Albief15 at the end of the month for an interview prep, but need to consider the sim prep as well. I don't have any interviews scheduled.

I was kinda wondering that too. Perhaps to be safe, you should ask the sim prep instructor for the "Al Haynes" :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back