• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sierra Academy T.U.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, we are all on hold, and while I can understand their reason.. this was very unprofessional to just suspend operations without given us ANY notice that this was planned or in the works when it was obvious from this letter that this is something that had discussed and consulted with the FAA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All Staff and Students:

As you may have noticed, many significant changes have been occuring. We welcome our new neighbor Business Jet Center of Dallas, Texas, which has taken over Hanger One and will no doubt offer first class corporate aviation service. We have cooperated with Pan Am Internation Flight Academy which will provide training for Korean Air in Livermore. Now we are in a position to announce formally that Corinthian College, Inc., one of the largest private, post seconardy educational organizations in the U.S., will take over and operate the Aircraft Maintenance Training program.

With these changes at Oakland comes the need for many alterations in how we will do business going forward. Corinthian will operate from our current ground school building, the Service Center Hanger, and the Lockheed facility. To make these changes there will be major amounts of reorganization, remodeling, and moving of equipment and fixtures. In addition, the Federal Aviation Regulations under FAR Part 141 and 145 mandate a reinspection of all the changed facilities prior to resumption of flight operations.

Sierra Academy's operations will be based out of 9465 Earhart with maintence at Hanger 2. During 38 years of service to the aviation community, Sierra Academy has undertaken facility moves. However, none have been of this magnitude and complexity. For this reason we have elected, with permission from the FAA, to take a winter break from our normal training schedule to allow these changes to be accomplished.

Flight operations will cease December 8, 2003 and will restart on January 5, 2004. We appologize for the disruption that this may cause, but are without workable options. Our staff has been advised that it is impossible to be involved with moving and remodeling while trying to continue with flight operations. The buildings must be vacated to help the process and ensure the safety of all. [Contact info edited out]

We appreciate that considerable personal disruption will be caused, and apologize for this.Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Skip Everett
President

wow...

glad I did not move out there back in May. Paying a months rent in Alameda without flying or going to school would have been difficult.

Anyone else hear that Tyler Academy of Aviation (Oxford Academy's US base) closed this week. This was originally my first choice of school, just wondering if anyone knew why they closed.

I flew out of Sierra for 3 and a half years, 1.5 as a student, just over two as an instructor. The training and standards set by the flight staff downstairs was great, though I can say without a doubt that upstairs it was the most mismanaged business I have ever been a part of.

I honestly feel a monkey could have had better insight and would have run that school better than S.E. and his special olympics team of "management" he surrounded himself with. They treated their instructors like indentured servants who should be glad to have a job their and it comes as no suprise to me that the big man never showed his face to bear the bad news. In all my time their I never spoke a word with him and saw him in passing maybe 3 times, the first time after two years.

Nothing suprises me about how this was handled: standard Sierra B.S.

The memo distibuted is a joke: The only way Sierra "cooperated" with Pan Am is by closing its doors once they lost the Korean contract which had been keeping the Oakland business afloat for years. Apologizing for the inconvenience? How will you reimburse all the students for the extra money they must spend to reschedule checkrides and regain proficiency? How about the timing? To all the instructors a great big "Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry Xmas. Now clean out your desks..." Its downright evil... You're one big friggin' Grinch, Mr. E. good job.

Way to take a once great business built up by daddy, steal as much from students and instructors you can and imbezzle the rest.

Bitter you ask? Yes, though I did get far fast by flying there, although it was despite all the road blocks management threw in my face at every turn as both a student and instructor. I feel great pain for my many friends still there. I can't imagine how many will stay flying when 40-50 CFI's flood an already tight instruction market in the Bay Area. Best of luck to all. Be glad you're free...

To any students still there: start looking for a lawyer to get back (what remains of) your money, you'll need one.

Last edited:
As an outsider, I don't understand the hubub. They're taking a break for a less than a month while they move facilities. Doesn't sound like they're going out of business or doing anything else untoward. Missing something here?

I will agree that the management sucks, and leaves alot to be desired. I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way is they tend to treat students more like employees then customers, and as someone who has experienced other flight schools I can tell you I have never felt this way before until I came here. I will however in Sierra's defense state that this school by far has had the best instruction that I've come across so far, and puts the other 2 schools I went to to shame. :)

Avbug, it isnt the fact they are closing for 1 month, its the abruptness of it. The fact remains they obviously had been planning this and didnt tell ANYONE this was in the works or give us notice to prepare for this. In fact the instructors didnt even find out until 12:30pm Monday which just shows a total lack of respect for these guys, not to mention totally inconvienced the students who may have had stage checks, or check rides to be scheduled which are now cancelled.

Me personally, while I know they tell us its for remodelling, you cant help but think in the back of your mind that if this was just a simple remodeling why the abrut closurer of operations? If this was a forced closurer the abrutness would make more sense.. which would concern people like me who have money in accounts still with Sierra Academy.

Ryan

I taught at Sierra for 2 1/2 years in the early 90's and I am surprised that they are giving up the MX training. That was always their bread and butter. The flight opps. usually lost money but the A&P school was a gold mine. Sounds like Ol' Skipper may have run through his wifes money and is liquidating the rest before he cuts and runs. I believe that building was the original Oakland Airport Hotel and as such is a historical landmark. I'd be interested in who is paying for the remodel. Good luck to all. It was the best flight training I could hope to have and it has helped me get great jobs through the years. I agree...the only problem with that school is the second floor.

Latest resources

Back