Sierra Academy or local CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have a job either.

He wants to use the CFI ,when he is finished with training, to build time. I agree it would be worth something to have that job guarantee (probably not $30K) though.

Guaranted job?

There is no such thing as a guaranted job at the place where you train. Thik about it this way: if say each instructor had 5 students, how many instructors would the school have after a few rounds? Even if all of the original instructors leave? A guaranted job would only work if the number of CFI produced at the mill perfectly matched attrition, which has never been the case anywhere; especially right now. Bottom line is, after you spent $60K on your training you are on your own just like everyone else. Except that everyone else might have spent less money on their training which was of equal quality.

Anyway, check your PM's.

Buck

Quality training experience

00Dog said:
When one upgrades at an airline, isn't it a lot of self study? I would think preparing for the writtens and oral on one's own time would be much better practice for the future.
Class at the airlines is like drinking from the proverbial firehose. Too much to absorb too fast. Unless you are truly disciplined, it's too easy to slack off and not study. I learned that from my own experience studying for the writtens. I would have learned more and better, and in less time, if I had attended class, hit the books, and had the overall learning experience instead of just my eyes.

I feel that it is better to receive and learn discipline as early as possible.
You also mention the discipline of the larger schools resulting in shorter training times and cost savings. While I agree with the shorter training times, it will still be way more expensive for the same certificates and ratings regardless.
The certificates might appear to be the same because everyone must exhibit the same minimal knowledge and skills to earn them. The difference lies in the quality of the training experience.

I trained (for years) under Part 61. I thought that my certificates were as good as anyone's. After I got my first full-time aviation job, instructing at ERAU, I was surprised, and chagrined, at how little I really knew. Also, my students were better pilots than I was at the same level of training. Once more, I submit that you learn better, faster, and cheaper overall, if your nose is put to the grindstone and you are under (friendly and professional) pressure to perform.
Is it worth an extra $30K+ for a guaranteed CFI position when he is finished?
For one thing, no reputable school will "guarantee" a job. A reputable school will talk up the employment opportunities it offers its grads. A school guaranteeing a job is blowing smoke up your rear. Moreover, an astute person would not rely on promises of a guaranteed job from any organization.

I would agree that pinning $30K is a lot of money on which to pin your hopes for a job after graduation, especially in these times. But you have to figure that it will pay for itself, sooner or later, in terms of eventual employment and good contacts.

Tell your friend good luck with his/her choice of training.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back