• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Side business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I've seen car washes, vending machines and real estate are actual side businesses and still require WORK.
Lots of work and time to get it to pay off.
Thing about the term "side business" is how lazy many pilots let the job make them, and how disruptive an airline schedule can be to said business. Most businesses it's better to look at your flying gig (if you're lucky enough to have that kind of flexibility) as your side job and the business as your more than full time career-

Otherwise it's just too competitive out there- you will fail and be better off just investing more. I'm a big fan of the concept "do what you love, the money will follow"
It's so much easier to attract clientele and do the work necessary if you have a PASSION for what you do.

From what I've seen car washes, vending machines and real estate are actual side businesses and still require WORK.
Thing about the term "side business" is how lazy many pilots let the job make them, and how disruptive an airline schedule can be to said business. Most businesses it's better to look at your flying gig (if you're lucky enough to have that kind of flexibility) as your side job and the business as your more than full time career-

Otherwise it's just too competitive out there- you will fail and be better off just investing more. I'm a big fan of the concept "do what you love, the money will follow"
It's so much easier to attract clientele and do the work necessary if you have a PASSION for what you do.
I had a roofing company, and you are absolutely right. Nothing worse than having to call and cajole people into paying you. I got tired of the stress, worrying about getting paid, etc. I now do roofing for friends and people I know only.

Real estate certainly requires work. But for the $ earned per hour invested, I can't imagine a better side business. Although like you said, if you aren't passionate about doing it right, it won't work.

I had a roofing company, and you are absolutely right. Nothing worse than having to call and cajole people into paying you. I got tired of the stress, worrying about getting paid, etc. I now do roofing for friends and people I know only.

Carpet removal might be a better business to get into. :)

Can't you put a lien on their home?

Can't you put a lien on their home?
You sure can, but you will be the last to collect. The worst was an apartment complex that I had my guys do over 200 window replacements on. It took over 6 months to get them to pay. They were a company that had properties all over the Southeast. I learned from that to only do a few at a time, get paid, then do a few more, etc. Insurance companies can be a PITA as well. I made a ton of money when I was doing it full throttle, dropping trips at DAL, because the money was good. But the stress of running a business can take a big toll. Flying airplanes is so much better, especially when you leave the job in the employee lot.

Real estate. Although prices have risen dramatically you may have to wait for the next crash.

It's coming too. Over the next decade, many, many millions of baby boomers are going to move from the houses they can barely afford now into the equivalent of starter homes in hopes of having enough equity in their current home to pay cash (or at least have a small monthly payment) for their next little home. That's the only way the majority of boomers will have a chance at retiring and be able to live off of SS. As they flood the market with mid-level priced homes, pricing is going to tank.

How about picking up a trip at 150% every now and then.

Do the math! One day off to make $700-$1000 no risk. Or work on every day off, and overnight. Maybe making a minor profit.

I'm in real estate. So far it is working out good. Used car sales seem to be an easy way to make a little side cash. I haven't done it yet but I am looking into it. Also, looking at gun sales.

Jim

Being furloughed from NetJets going on 4+ years has allowed me to get my contractors license. Plumbing the last 4 years has given me the experience required for the license and the money is outrageous. Only problem is my currency is a distant memory. Hoping to get recalled soon so I can get current and get in line with everyone else for the premium gigs. Even if I stay at NJ, working a 7 and 7 will allow me to grow the business while flying part time.

The last 4 years have been brutal, but I'm certainly glad I waited it out and avoided the slow miserable death that are and were the regionals.

Latest resources

Back