• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
3 sick calls in 6 months = verbal notification

4 sick calls in 12 months = verbal notification

5 sick calls in 12 months = written warning

6 sick calls in 12 months = possible 3 day susp.

7 sick calls in 12 months = possible termination

The CP will not want a doctor's note...don't waste your time.....notes are only needed if you apply for FMLA to cover the absence. This requires YOU to have your (or sick family members) doctor complete and return FMLA paperwork to the company.

The company is required by Federal Law to provide FMLA paperwork IF a sick call is 3 consecutive days or greater. This may lead you to believe that FMLA only covers you for 3 days or greater. WRONG....FMLA may qualify for a 1 day sick event, but you must request the paperwork from Todd Martin at the G/O. You are still SICK and you are still eligible for SICK pay providing you have any in your sick bank. FMLA only changes the SICK to a NON-OCCURRENCE....providing it meets the Federal criteria. FMLA came to be during tha Clinton years, which only states that an FMLA absence cannot threated your job. FMLA does not guarentee money. Of course FMLA is not available to an employee until the end of 12 months of service, according to FMLA law.

Yes you are. It is law, nothing the company can say or do about it.

Found online:

“The FMLA defines an eligible employee as one who meets all three of the following criteria: (1) the employee has worked for the employer for at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutively); (2) the employee has worked for the employer for at least 1,250 hours in the previous consecutive 12-month period; and (3) the employee works at or is assigned to a worksite that has 50 or more employees or which is within 75 miles of worksites that taken together have a total of 50 or more employees. “

ACA routinely denied FMLA requests. All first year pilots were denied. An FO whose wife was critically injured in a car accident was denied. They went as far as telling a non-probationary pilot that their FMLA request was being denied because they did not work 1250 hours in the prior year. ACA would only count flight time, and not duty time.

Question for you guys who have been around awhile. I just called in sick for the 3rd time in about 9 months (I'm still on probation and have legimately been sick). Just wondering if the company I'm at is going to look down on me during my probation ride for calling in sick and try to get rid of me?? Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

WB22
Flying is stressful on your body, due to dry air, high cabin altitudes, lots of diseased pax, poor nutrition, and variable schedules.

You don't want to use your sick days when you're actually sick, that is wasting them! How to stay healthy:

-Get the flu shot early.

Colds are the most common problem:
- Stay hydrated. Pound the fluids (non-alcoholic), but time it so you need to piss when you pull into the gate, not in the departure lineup.
- Wash you hands often, or use alcohol wipes.
- Try not to touch things that the filthy pig pax touch. Most bugs really are transmitted by touch, not airborne.
- Wipe the cockpit down during sick season.
- If you can't eat healthy take some vitamins (B Complex, C, E)

If you feel a cold coming on, Cold-Eez cough drops can nip it in the bud, but you have to start taking them as soon as you feel it coming. They have zinc in them, which apparently is hard on the cold bugs. I carry a bag of them in my flight kit, works great.

If you party your @ss off before a long flying day, your defenses will be down and you will get sick, even in July. Pace yourself on the overnights.

Latest resources

Back