• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SIC Type rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You really have this one backwards. The FARs always have the last say. An SIC Type is defined by the FARs, not the insurance companies. Insurance companies certainly can decide who they will cover, but they cannot issue licenses and ratings, only the FAA can do that.

I think what he meant is that insurance requirements can be more restrictive than the FAR's. You will need to get approval for this type of training by your insurance company. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's covered by insurance.

The SIC type ratings are only required to fly outside of the US, correct? If you're staying domestic you don't need it. Am I right?

Actually, I thought as long as you are flying in North America you are good to go without an SIC type. Anyone know if this is true?

I think what he meant is that insurance requirements can be more restrictive than the FAR's. You will need to get approval for this type of training by your insurance company. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's covered by insurance.

You got it. FlyFlyFly has a good point, of course. But I was pointing out that, even if it's FAR legal to give an employee an in-house SIC type/61.55 checkout, it's still up to insurance to decide if they'll cover it. Also, make sure they cover the training flight(s), as well (arguably the highest risk activity in a business aircraft, other than letting me fly :) ).

John

was in canada less than a week ago and i don't have a sic, no one said anything.

not required in mexico.

Actually, it IS required. It just hasn't been enforced. That is changing, however, and Mexico and Canada are enforcing the rule (an aircraft requiring 2 crewmembers must have both pilots type-rated) . Thus the creation of the SIC type-rating here in the States.

wrong, you are breaking a FAA reg.

you are breaking FAA regulations! ...you guys need to keep up. This is new:

§ 61.55 Second-in-command qualifications.

[URL]http://www.aopa.org/images/members/files/fars/ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top[/URL]
(a) A person may serve as a second-in-command of an aircraft type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or in operations requiring a second-in-command pilot flight crewmember only if that person holds:
(1) At least a current private pilot certificate with the appropriate category and class rating; and
(2) An instrument rating or privilege that applies to the aircraft being flown if the flight is under IFR; and
(3) The appropriate pilot type rating for the aircraft unless the flight will be conducted as domestic flight operations within United States airspace.

# 3 means SIC type rated or PIC type rated for the SIC!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back