SIC Type rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ekuflyer

Does anyone have any experience giving the SIC type to your SIC's. Reading 61.55, I think I, as the Dept. Manager, can sign off on the type for our SIC's.

"1) The person who provided the training must sign the applicant's logbook or training record after each lesson in accordance with §61.51(h)(2) of this part. In lieu of the trainer, it is permissible for a qualified management official within the organization to sign the applicant's training records or logbook and make the required endorsement. The qualified management official must hold the position of Chief Pilot, Director of Training, Director of Operations, or another comparable management position within the organization that provided the training and must be in a position to verify the applicant's training records and that the training was given."

What do you think?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, so...

FWIW, I know a Flight Dept. Manager that was approved to give sign-offs, and that approval came from insurance. Per the FARs, you're good to go, but I think insurance has the final say.

my $.02

The SIC type ratings are only required to fly outside of the US, correct? If you're staying domestic you don't need it. Am I right?

The SIC type ratings are only required to fly outside of the US, correct? If you're staying domestic you don't need it. Am I right?
I agree with you, domestic you dont need it.

NBAA has a good read on the SIC Type requirements, just do a search. A Captain, Chief Pilot, Director of Ops, or just someone type rated in the airplane can give the endorsements and doesn't have to be a current CFI. Just endorse the flight portion and show some ground training as well with endorsement, take it to the FSDO and whalla your are SIC Typed.

I see this becoming more regulated in the future. My experience with this is they are giving them out like candy which doesn't really matter because everyone that gets one is supposedly 61.55 qualified. IMO everyone that gets in a jet should have to go through an initial training program whether flight safety or another.

Per the FARs, you're good to go, but I think insurance has the final say.

You really have this one backwards. The FARs always have the last say. An SIC Type is defined by the FARs, not the insurance companies. Insurance companies certainly can decide who they will cover, but they cannot issue licenses and ratings, only the FAA can do that.

Our Chief Pilot came up with a training plan and took it to the local FSDO. They approved it and now we send them the paper work, they send us the tickets.

Our Chief Pilot came up with a training plan and took it to the local FSDO. They approved it and now we send them the paper work, they send us the tickets.
But that is for a 135 op right?

No it was 91, but I think the big reason was so that anyone in the flight department could do the training, and all the paper work would be handled by the Chief Pilot.

Latest resources

Back