Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
I recently got the opportunity to fly a metro (under 12,500 gross) to the center of MX and back with the captain. He let me fly the whole thing by hand, but I'm uncertain how to log it. I am not an employee of the company that runs the metro, and have no SIC rating. However, I did control an airplane that doesn't require a type rating as sole manipulator of the controls.

Do I log this as SIC or PIC? I'm leery of putting metro PIC in my logbook, due to the fact that I'm sketchy on the systems. I got a brief synopsis from the captain prior to the flight, and we agreed that anytime he said "my airplane" it was to immediately be his.

do a search here, we've just covered that.......a few hours ago that is

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Merlin family, but everything I've heard called a Metro had a MGTOW of more than 12,500 and required a type rating. If you were flying one that required a type rating and didn't require a SIC, you were a passenger. log it as such ie: not at all

If it was in fact an aircraft with a MGTOW of less than 12,500 (may be, like I said, I can't keep all those model numbers straight) you could legally log it as PIC. However, 1.3 hours (or whatever) of metro time in your logbook would probably be more of a liability than an asset. It looks like exactly what it is, someone let you grab the controls on a non-rev leg. Obviously, you were no more PIC than I am Cameron Diaz. Tell me this? what's it going to do for you? The FAA doesn't care one bit about logged turbine time, so there's no pluses nor minuses there, so the only othere's who would be interested are potential employers. Trust me, no-one's goint to be particularly impressed with 1.3 hours of Turbine time. At best, an interviewer will ignore it, at worst, they might be annoyed by it and start asking systems questions, just to prove a point. You sure you want to go down that road?

Log PIC when you are a legitimate PIC, log SIC when you are a real, no fooling, legally required SIC, otherwise don't log anything. It will serve you better in the long run.

I posted this because it was indeed under 12,500 and didn't require a type.

And it was 6.5 round trip (had to cover a few states). I don't care so much about the turbine as much as I do the multi time. I have 95 with it and 89 without. Sounds like I'll log it PIC, and describe that it was hard night IFR on an unfamiliar plane. That's worthy of my logbook IMO.

I'd ask the captain to sign the logbook for you as having given you instruction (that's really what was going on, right?) and log it as multiengine turbine time, dual received. Leave the PIC column alone on this one. :)

Log it. From your description, you weren't the SIC, nor was one required. You may log it as PIC in accordance with 61.51(e) as sole manipulator, and probably should. Note in your remarks section the circumstances under which you log it. If anyone asks, explain what and why, and note that it was a learning experience for which you were grateful. I doubt a soul will care much, but at that low a level of experience, get all the time and experience you can.

You're far from the first to do so.

Log It

Yeah definitely log it as sole manipulator PIC. As long as you are rated in the aircraft (multi rated, no type required), the FARs allow for logging it. In the future when filling out airline apps, you may notice that they breakdown the PIC column into FAR part 1 and FAR part 61 PIC. You may want to do the same in your logbook.

The FAR part 1 PIC is acting as PIC and being the one solely responsible for the operation of the aircraft. FAR part 61 PIC is logging PIC in an aircraft you are rated in.

Is the Metro a pressurized aircraft certified for flight over 25,000'? Do you have a high-altitude endorsement? It matters to act as PIC (FAR 1) but not to log PIC (FAR 61).

Get all the multi time you can! Have fun.

-pj

Heres another scenario:

I logged 0.5 in a King Air. It was for my high altitude endorsement. We were under Part 91. It is to my understanding that you are allowed to act as PIC for that endorsement. Do you guys think this is a liability in this situation? Should I black out the PIC column? Just hoping to learn..

Crizz said:
I logged 0.5 in a King Air. It was for my high altitude endorsement. We were under Part 91. It is to my understanding that you are allowed to act as PIC for that endorsement. Do you guys think this is a liability in this situation? Should I black out the PIC column? Just hoping to learn..
Assuming

1. the King Air does not require a type rating (I really should know this, but I don't)

and

2. Your pilot certificate contains multi-engine airplane ratings

then the FAA says that may write the numbers in the PIC column of your logbook for the time that you were sole manipulator of the controls.

It was a BE200 MTOW exactly 12,500lbs. No type required.

Also both myself and the other pilot were Multi-engine instructor rated pilots. I recieved dual from him. Both pilots logged PIC.

Im not looking from a legal standpoint. I could care less about 0.5 of king air time in my logbook. I just was told it has to be in there for the purpose of the endorsement. I dont want to have to answer King Air questions as a result of bad advice.

Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back