SIC qualifications

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ManChild said:
How are the feds going to know if you have had SIC training? The proof doesn't need to be with you. I would also have to say that the PIC would take the heat anyway for not having a qualified SIC. They are responsible for the flight. If your not qualified, your just a passenger. Three TO and Landings are pretty easy. Getting them RVSM trained is harder.

Who cares how the feds are going to find out??? The rules are there for a reason. 61.55 spells out what needs to be accomplished, which makes for a much safer crew than your "three TO and Landings". Having somebody bounce an airplane off the runway three times and then pencil-whipping the rest causes accidents. Accidents injure/kill people, destroy airplanes, and increase insurance rates. Insurance companies know this, and that is why many of them require operators to go above and beyond 61.55 and attend formal sim training.

And you might want to read 61.55 again. I don't think your "If your not qualified, your (you're as in 'you are' BTW) just a passenger" defense is very logical. The first sentence of the reg says "...no person may serve...", not "no operator may use".

I hope you are never running the show at any of these operations. People with your mentality hurt us all.

ManChild said:
How are the feds going to know if you have had SIC training? The proof doesn't need to be with you. I would also have to say that the PIC would take the heat anyway for not having a qualified SIC. They are responsible for the flight. If your not qualified, your just a passenger. Three TO and Landings are pretty easy. Getting them RVSM trained is harder.

How does the fed know if you have a current BFR or t/o and landing currency if you have pax? The SIC training would be in your logbook, which you must produce if requested. The PIC might get some heat for not having a qualified SIC, but I suppose the person playing SIC when not qualified would face a revokation or suspension of their pilot's cert. Not to mention how f-ed up it is to put a captain in that position in the first place (without their knowledge).

RVSM training is easy. It can be done online in about 20 minutes.

I think your taking my response a little to seriously. I do think everyone should be properly trained as a SIC, actually I think everyone should be typed, but that is just my opinion. It sounds like form the first post, that the pilot is filling in somewhere. Saddly, most smaller coprorations probably will not pay for Flight Safety SIC for a temp pilot, where they will probably be running the radios anyway.

And I do believe that the PIC would have more problems with the FAA than a SIC would if ramped with an unqualified SIC.

Latest resources

Back