Shuttle launch viewing location???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL000

I'll never forget seeing the launch of Apollo 14 from an exclusive location at Cape Canaveral, and I've always wanted to go back. I know I'll never get that perspective again, but was wondering where I can get a good view of the Shuttle launch from the roadside, campground, etc.

I saw it once while fishing at Sebastian inlet, but that wasn't close enough for me. I want to get close for the next launch.

Anyone have some inside information for the unconnected?

Thanks.

I go out on a boat usually....but the restrictions get worse every year. I've heard the boat limit is going to push out to 12NM for this launch....but haven't confirmed that. Last time I watched a launch from the water there were a few heavily armed CG ships there that were protecting the "protected zone". There are lots of areas in Titusville, but you'd have to get there REALLY early to get a good spot....or any spot at all. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I was thinking the same thing. Only problem being is that they are going to keep the launch time under wraps until something like 24 hours in advance (for security reasons)... *wink wink* I'd love to JS down and see it.

FracCapt said:
I've heard the boat limit is going to push out to 12NM for this launch....but haven't confirmed that.
Let ole User confirm that for you. We were just at the Cape last month and on one of the tours we were standing about a mile and a half from one of the launchpads, on a "viewing area" right by the beach. While we were standing there one of the security guys came up from off the beach and talked to me and the guy I was flying with. We got into a discussion about security around there, and although he wouldn't tell us anything specific, he did make mention that they now have a new 12 mile zone off shore that is patrolled by the CG and their own boat teams.

Which brings me to wonder... what kind of resrictions do they put on airplanes flying in the area? How far out does it typically go, and is it a TFR?

Fly_Chick said:
From what I understand, it is a 30 nm no-fly zone TFR. Not sure of the times for the no-fly zone yet.
I bet thats a pain for the Center controllers on launch day as well having a 30NM no fly zone right in the middle of the west coast of Florida!

Just do like all the other pilots and blast on through the tfr (after you see ignition commence or they will abort) snap your pics and get out!
Pretend it's DC!
Apollo 14? is anyone else here that um, wise and experienced?

GravityHater said:
Apollo 14? is anyone else here that um, wise and experienced?
My bad. It was Apollo-Soyuz. I forgot the name, but I haven't forgotten the trip. It was only 30 years ago this month. Just for reference, Star Wars came out 28 years ago, and Raiders of the Lost Ark is 25 years old. Time flies.

That was also the last time I visited Disney World, the summer that Space Mountain opened. Has anything changed?

Last edited:
It's the east coast of Florida. And the TFR usually goes into effect 3 hours before launch and continues until 3 hours after launch, but the rules may have changed, so don't bank on what I've said.

As far as viewing locations go, the best place I can reccomend is Titusville, across the river from the Space Center. It is going to be PACKED there, however. So get there early, but that really is the best view.

Unless you work there like me and can watch from 3 miles away from the pad.:D

SammyG said:
It's the east coast of Florida.
I'm just an idiot sometimes. :D I know exactly where it is, and in hindsight, I had put down east at first and then deleted it to put west. Ahhh... hopefully I have better luck with my directions today when I go flying or I'll never find the east coast!

Latest resources

Back