• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle launch viewing location???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm located about 58 miles north of melbourne in new smyrna beach. do you think, if it's a clear day, that if i was up "doing maneuvers" that i might be able to catch a glimpse of the shuttle blasting into space?

cforst513 said:
I'm located about 58 miles north of melbourne in new smyrna beach. do you think, if it's a clear day, that if i was up "doing maneuvers" that i might be able to catch a glimpse of the shuttle blasting into space?

If it's not too cloudy, and if they don't extend the no fly, then I expect you should be able to get at least a decent view of the plume as it goes up.

I saw the last night launch from Vero Beach, right on the beach. Spectacular!! Night launches are amazing.

As far as day launches.....I went to Coco Beach. It was not crowded at all, though I was kind of disapointed. Since we were so close to the launch site (relatively speaking), I was expecting lots of visual and audio stimulation. Due to the clouds, most of the shuttle launch was not visible, and the sound, hardly audible.

I would expect a large crowd this time around due to the circumstances. Get there early, bring some food, have some fun!

Cforst- I have seen unmanned missle launches that originated from the Cape during daylight hours as far south as Vero Beach. So yes, you could see it from the air. Miami center usually gives a heads up.

L.

UnAnswerd said:
I've viewed shuttle launches from 300 yards. It was very hot and asphyxiating, but worth it.

Hehe..I seriously doubt this.

NASA must be nervous about liability, to extend the security zone out to 12 miles. Is there a hard hat zone from 12 to 24?

UnAnswerd said:
I've viewed shuttle launches from 300 yards. It was very hot and asphyxiating, but worth it.
So THATS what happened to you!!! Now I'm understanding... :D

Hurricane Dennis might cause a rollback to the hangar, so July 13 date may slip.

Might find out tommorow.

Latest resources

Back