• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shuttle launch viewing location???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A friend of mine got me into the launch center to watch one a few years ago, but they ended up scratching the launch due to wx. I did get a tour of the vehicle assembly building that had a shuttle in it that had recently returned from a mission. Quite an experience, but bummed that I didn't get to see an actual launch. I'm in Mia for this one, so maybe I'll see something.

C-150ETOPS said:
Most amazing was seeing one right after sunset 450 nm due east of KSC while at FL390. It headed right over us screaming into orbit. The normally invisible shuttle exhaust plume was backlit against the stars as it climbed into sunlight.
All two normally jaded guys could say was "OMFG!";)

Wish I could have been there, maybe I will be as lucky one day!

Does anyone know if NASA will open the causway for the launch?

(And, yes, I am too lazy to look it up myself, thank you very much)

Which causeway do you speak of?

If you mean the NASA Causeway, then the answer is no.

i'm in bradenton, fl -- problem is if i drive over and its scrubbed, its alot of driving back and forth for the next launch time.

i will probably just watch it from here -- i've seen delta launches clearly with a zoom camera/video. although the sound is what i crave :) i've only been to 1 launch, but that alone is making me consider making the trek over to the east coast tomorrow.

Anyone from the west coast of fla want some company in their trek over?

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
The roof of my house works well, come on over, no security required.

What town do you live in? Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow(will be on the west coast), but I may give you a shout for the next one....hopefully not another few years from now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4677495.stm

uhoh.... regardless if this is "routine", i would still be nervous to go up in that spaceship.

on another note, i wonder what kind of wake turbulence that sumbitch creates when hurtling out of the atmosphere at Mach a lot....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back