Shuttle/ISS visible at dusk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Axel

Too cool! I was outside around dusk yesterday and noticed a light in the sky moving south at high speed. Obviously not an airplane. I called the family and we watched it for about 2 minutes until it disappeared while still above the southern horizon.

I came inside and surfed around until I found this site:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

Sure enough, it was the shuttle and space station. According to the NASA site, it will be visible again tonight (7/8) over much of the eastern US at around 9:30 eastern time. With a good pair of binoculars, they say you can make out some details.

9:35 tonight it will be very bright high in the north going to east. Saw both of them separated once by about 50 miles. This is in Miami. Check out the heavens-above site for your local viewing.

I was outside the other night at dusk on my cell phone when I saw a high-speed light move across the sky. I thought it was just a satellite, but now that I'm looking at this ISS/Shuttle info I might have actually seen it...

bubbers44 said:
9:35 tonight it will be very bright high in the north going to east. Saw both of them separated once by about 50 miles. This is in Miami. Check out the heavens-above site for your local viewing.

All I see is rain! Sucks!

Just watched it go overhead in Orlando. You could see both the shuttle and the space station. Very cool.

Just out of my own curiosity...what does it look like? Can you make it out well with the naked eye, or do you need binoculars / telescope?

- I said naked.

Latest resources

Back