• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should your taxes pay for Ted?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Very sad . . . and I repeat what I said about going out on a LOA and finding a secure position while leaving one foot in the door, in the unlikely event that they manage to make it."

Ty, your post is as subjective as the next guys. Care to put your money where your mouth is.

The part I find interesting is where you say United is losing $5 million dollars a day despite repeated attempts by several posters to "educate" you on paper losses versus real losses.

bpapa

I spent a number of years in the business world. I have written several business plans, and let's just say that I know the difference between a Balance Sheet and an Income Statement.

UAL doesn't need "paper losses". That was about two years ago. What they need now is a real plan, and they are running out of time.

Im sorry. Im serious. Can somebody clarify this for me.

1)Is Ted SHUTTLE with Airbuses?

2)In bankrupcy, how can a company start another company?

3)Wont a LCC (Ted/Shuttle) and a Legacy Carrier (UAl) create a medium cost carrier when combined? Obviosly(SP), UAL is going to absorb Teds expenses and vice versa.

I am kinda clueless with behind the scene reorganizations. Can somebody HELP.

Thanks

Ty ,

No one is asking about Ty Webb's business plan for United. I am positive there is one but, we won't see until Glen Tilton et al decide to release it.

"Your LCC competitors are making money at these prices, but UAL is losing an astounding $5 million a day in the same environment."

Again, tell me how you came up with $5 million a day in losses and I'll drop the topic.

I'm still waiting on an answer about putting your money where your mouth is.

bpapa

Bpap:

The info is all there, if you choose to see it. I am not going to take the time to re-hash it all here for your edification.

In the seven years I have been posting to this board, I have learned that some people aren;t worth the effort, and you fit that profile.

Good luck.

And Extra300, same to you, pal.

Last edited:
Ty,

I know the info for myself. I was curious to see how you arrived at such an incorrect number. I've been lurking and posting on these boards for 6 years and I find it fascinating that after asking you two questions I'm now not worth the effort.

I guess you're just too sensitive, Ty. Try not to make such blanket statements "in the unlikely event that they make it" unless you want to be called on it.

Good luck to you as well

bpapa

Darwin,

Are you calling me an ape?

FWIW I don't have a beef with you Ty, on the contrary you seem to have a problem with someone asking you a legitimate question. What's your beef?

Ty,

Seems to me that the LCC "managers", as you put it (I think you mean "leadership"), are a hell of a lot more in touch with what is going on in the marketplace than the "legacy" leadership.

What are you talking about? LCC management (and as before I mean management as it implies a larger group) didn't plan this marketplace and thus shouldn't be patted on the back for the windfall occurring collaterally. Right place Right time. You offer far too much credit.

Look the facts- the "brand within a brand" doesn't work. It didn;t work for CAL, UsAir, Delta, Delta again, or United in the past, and it won;t work in the future, yet UAL is devoting scarce resources to it, based on a stupid idea that they paid $10 million to McKinsey to come up with.

You over and over again compare Ted to past ventures. Much like you compare past business models to future ones. Apples and oranges my friend. The jury is still out on Ted, but for now it's exceeding all expectations at UAL.

You, like UAL fail to recognize one simple fact- the LCC's are selling tickets at prices they can make money at! What we are "crying foul" about is that you want a government subsidy to enable you keep dumping seats at prices that are below your costs to hold "market share"! What "market share"? If you can't make money at it, it's not your market.

So you advocate shrinking to profitability. That surely hasn't worked for airlines in the past and wont work now. Your version of "market share" has been proven not to work in this industry time and time again. Further, you have know idea how and at what cost UAL will add capacity, or if they will. So don't claim insight.

The ATSB granted F9 money in which they have used to expand DEN at UAL's expense, and move into PHL to AAA's detriment. So it appears that the government has enabled them to continue "dumping seats" on the marketplace. Your view of predatory pricing is skewed to your meet your needs. You cannot tell me that Air Tran isn't preying on DAL's difficulties, because they clearly are. Bear in mind that competition goes both ways, like it or not.

As to your thoughts on UAL's future, you haven’t been on the mark yet, maybe that’s why you had to seek another career.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back