• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should US majors follow Emirates lead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the stuff you commented about can easily be covered by briefing the new pilot prior to flying into ATL. What you failed to mention is that the military pilot will know what to do if they get into an inadvertent stick
shaker/pusher, unlike the typical regional pilot (Colgan).

Bottom line is that the typical military pilot is better trained than the typical regional pilot and whatever deficiencies the military guy has in regards to civilian ops can easily be taught to him in ground briefings, unlike the typical regional pilot who has basic deficiencies in airmanship.

So you are telling me a typical regional captain who has had 5-30 PC's won't know what to do when you get a stick shaker/pusher. Look we can both sit here and site a million different crashes. I can think of a former friend of the family who made some poor decisions in a B-52, but that doesn't make military pilots worse than RJ pilots and it likewise doesn't make them anybetter.

A military pilot is better trained to do what they are supposed to do, but you know as well as I do that ground breifings can't even come close to prepareing a pilot for all the stuff they have to deal with on the line. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Especially when that ground briefing is day 8 hour 6 of Idoc ground school. Or wait is the 20 year captain who just met him supposed to brief him on everything before the flight that is supposed to leave on time in 22 minutes.

Brownie, I gave him a warning. "Watch your airspeed" was met with "I got it". Since he'd been giving me the superior attitude for three days, I just waited for it to happen after that. Then the PM took the airplane and made it happen. Not much else I could do with that attitude.

Experience with helo pilots

Fixed wing only. Helo or UAV only should have to get the time somewhere.
Someone has to figure out why uninformed management knuckleheads don't view a multi-crew Captain time in an advanced IFR helo like the H-60, H-46, H-53 or H-47 as not real flight time. However, PIC in a VFR only C-150 in the traffic pattern is the breakfast of champions for an airline career by those who set hard fixed wing limits and ignore helo time in total time. Why are most management and insurance company’s sooooo waaaayyyy out of touch with reality? Ops I am sorry I was management bashing again. Over the years I worked at my airline I had one training failure with a military trained helo driver. That 1 of 47, and the civilian only fixed wing average 1500 hours, we had 27 training failures. That was 27 out 257. Very trainable, used to SOP, and well screened before started military training. Now watching the first night in the sim going from 0-200 in 60 seconds and trying to get the sim off the ground by raising the right arm rest, that was fun. However by period #3 everyone was above average.

These military C-5 Guys expect the engineer sat back and watched this happen in Dover. DE. Well trained pilots forget which engine has failed, watch the Power Levers and N1. Well trained pilots that were confused. S&^T Happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5xTmmPbsY

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, I don't know the accident details.

Did I see this correct: #2 was the bad engine. when they brought in power they added power on #2 and kept #3 at idle instead of #2? (As well as the flap issue)

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, I don't know the accident details.

Did I see this correct: #2 was the bad engine. when they brought in power they added power on #2 and kept #3 at idle instead of #2? (As well as the flap issue)

Correct.

I guess then you will end up with all PFTs. Go buy a type and some time and send in your resume.

My experience has been that military guys have a harder time in initial training at a regional but they can usually pick it up after that.

I think the real advantage to hiring military guys is that their training is more of a "screening" process. I don't think you can be mediocre and make it through military flight training.

I think the military pilots will be a known quantity in terms of innate ability. Whereas a CFI to regional FO to regional CA can make it through with only average gray matter ability.

The biggest challenge for some military pilots who go to part 121 is adapting to the more collegial atmosphere in the cockpit at a part 121 operation. Standard part 121 flights usually do not include a post operation debrief with discussion about what could have been done better during the flight.

As for the example of the military guy who got the shaker, i guess it could happen to anyone. The fact that he was former mil should not be considered an indictment on all military pilots.

Latest resources

Back