• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should This Pilot Be Fired?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re-read 293. It is not for SIC/VFR only.

(a) No certificate holder may use a pilot, nor may any person serve as a pilot, unless, since the beginning of the 12th calendar month before that service, that pilot has passed.....................................

If you completed the above sentence it would tell you that this pertains to the written or oral that is required every 12 months....

§ 135.293 Initial and recurrent pilot
testing requirements.
(a) No certificate holder may use a
pilot, nor may any person serve as a
pilot, unless, since the beginning of the
12th calendar month before that service,
that pilot has passed a written or
oral test, given by the Administrator
or an authorized check pilot, on that
pilot’s knowledge in the following

areas—

This section is tested in addition to the requirements of 135.297, with the exception that the .297 is done every 6 months. Three approaches to stall are required, with all but 1 waiveable.

Last edited:
Sorry to bore you guys, but there was a lot of misinformation in some previous posts that needs to be rectified. From the 8900.....

Part 135, § 135.297 Requirements. Section 135.297 requires that PICs complete an instrument proficiency check prior to conducting IFR revenue operations. Thereafter, the PIC must have completed an instrument proficiency check within the preceding six months to continue IFR revenue operations. The requirements of § 135.297 are not aircraft specific; that is, a single check fulfilling the requirements of § 135.297 is sufficient to qualify a PIC to conduct IFR operations in all types of aircraft in which the PIC is qualified according to § 135.293. Section 135.293(c) specifies that the check conducted to satisfy § 135.297 simultaneously satisfies the requirements of § 135.293 for the type of aircraft in which the check is accomplished.

Note: The oral or written test requirements of § 135.293(a) must be completed.
1) Operations Requiring ATPC. Section 135.297(c)(1) requires that for operations requiring an ATPC, the instrument proficiency check must consist of the maneuvers required for original issuance of that certificate and any applicable type rating.

2) Operations Requiring Commercial Certificates. Section 135.297(c)(1) also requires that for operations requiring a commercial certificate and an instrument rating, the instrument proficiency check must consist of the maneuvers required for the original issuance of a commercial certificate, an instrument rating, and any applicable type rating.

You won't give up, will you? I'll make one last try to clarify what I've already posted:

The reason I stated the .293 check was PRIMARILY for VFR PIC's and SIC's was the section of 135.293 you choose to ignore:

(c) The instrument proficiency check required by §135.297 may be substituted for the competency check required by this section for the type of aircraft used in the check.

What is the point of giving an IFR PIC an additional check that's not required by the FARs? I realize some check airmen check off the .293 block for whatever reason once a year. But, if they think .293 requires maneuvers in addition to those required by .297, they're confused.

And, what do you mean by the statement that it's all insignificant because airplane checks are a joke and sims are better? I don't disagree that sims are a better tool. But, the same regulations apply and the same maneuvers are required regardless of whether an aircraft or a level B, C, or D sim is used.

You are correct, but look at the word "MAY" in 293. It means a 297 does not have to include a 293. Consider the bottom feeder operators who only send their pilots to sim training once a year. They get their 293 and 297 checks done at that time. Six months later they do ONLY a 297 check....usually lasts less than 45 minutes. No aircraft specific maneuvers are completed, only instrument procedures.

You are correct, but look at the word "MAY" in 293. It means a 297 does not have to include a 293. Consider the bottom feeder operators who only send their pilots to sim training once a year. They get their 293 and 297 checks done at that time. Six months later they do ONLY a 297 check....usually lasts less than 45 minutes. No aircraft specific maneuvers are completed, only instrument procedures.

One last try and I'm done. The .297 check MAY be substituted for a .293 check in the type of aircraft the check is taken in. It is not an "instrument only" check and, assuming we're considering a jet used in Part 135 for pax and cargo, must include all non-waiverable items required for an ATP and a type rating in the type aircraft used for the check. There is no practical difference between the maneuvers required on a stand-alone .297 check and a combined .293 and .297 check.

BTW, xdays is absolutely correct in his post. I've been trying to say much the same thing, but his post is crystal clear, at least to me.

Why is there a "Captain" on a P180, part 91 repo flight ? Part 135, single engine, does'nt require a FO. If you were'nt there, there would be no problem...

Latest resources

Back